Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tub cutout

Posted by early (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 21, 13 at 9:09

Has anyone had their tub cutout on the side so that you can step into the tub instead of over the side?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tub cutout

"Cut out" a tub's side???? Not if you want the tub to hold water!

If you are talking about one of the specialty expensive walk in tubs, they have their own set of problems. And the gasket that keeps them from leaking is on the list. As is the fact that you have to sit there in the tub until all of the water drains out so you can open the door and get out. These problems are solvable with some key add ons and regular maintenance, but the up front cost is still prohibitive for many.

o

Yes your correct, the tub becomes a shower only. It seems to be a alot less expensive than a complete tub to shower redo.

o

I've never installed one, but for the other readers, I'm pretty sure this is what the OP is referring too:

There are several different versions. Some like this, some with a door. I'd never recommend a door version though, as you're depending on a couple of tubes of caulk to hold back the flood waters. And yes, when properly installed, a couple of tubes of caulk will indeed hold back the flood waters. Until they don't and you get a flood. Which you will.

If this was for an elderly person, I'd keep the tub intact and instead just use a medical transfer seat to get in and out of the tub.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here