Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Beautiful But Ugly Shower Doors

Posted by enduring (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 9:03

Help, I have a lovely set of shower doors in low iron Starphire glass. The manufacture of my doors is Agalite. The local company that uses this product came recommended by several others in the kitchen/bath design business.

First the glass came from the Agalite company miss matched, one regular glass and the other Starphire. I thought at first they were both regular glass, just 2 different colors. But it turned out that one door was indead Starphire. So got a replacement for the incorrect glass. Now it is installed and looks lovely until it steams up. I see 2 hand prints on the glass that appear to be baked into the glass. I also see a linear streak as if there was another straight edge placed on the glass, then finally there is a larger hazy smear down the center. The glass looks filthy when steamed up, yet those marks are almost invisible when the glass is dry. I called the company again to complain, they came out and were wounderful, but could not remove these imperfections. Then we noticed that the original door had a wrinkly cross hatch of marks when that door was steamed up. It looked like it was tempered into the glass, as if the glass had been laying on a wrinkled plastic bag.

These are pics after the door company cleaned the doors using a magic eraser as directed by Agalite. There was no improvement.

Haze streak on left and linear mark on the right:
Starphire haze photo image_zps601dc82b.jpg

Ghost hand, one of two:
Ghost hand photo image_zps39ba7bae.jpg

I don't have a pic of the plastic bag look.

The regional manager will be my next visiter some time in the next month.

Questions:
1) is this happening to others?
2) is this acceptable in the industry?
3) what have you done if you've had this problem?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Beautiful But Ugly Shower Doors

They need to replace the glass, poor quality control in the manufacturing process. I have seen and heard of it occasionally but not that much all in one one order. I would be leery of anything from that glass manufacturer after that. OR is there an aftermarket surface protectant being applied that may be the real issue?

o

So glad you saw my post Millworkman :)

No after market product was applied. These doors are clean. I am super happy with the local guys, but can't believe the glass would look like this. I too thought that it was poor quality control and wanted to know which plant was responsible for these doors. I believe that there are several locations in the US.

o

Since there is no surface protectant applied it was done in the glass manufacturing process. It will need to be replaced as it will not come out, or off anyway anyhow that I have seen or am aware of. And sorry you are going thru this enduring.

This post was edited by millworkman on Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 10:45

o

Thanks so much Millworkman. I appreciate your input. Good news, my local shower door company called and left a message that the regional rep, said he doesn't to come to the house for a personal inspection. Instead, he will have 2 new doors made, to replace the 2 that I have. Now I need to contact the local company to ask what will change in the manufacturing of the doors to prevent the sloppy tempering job.

o

Good luck with that, lol but that is good news the company is owning up to the issue. Seriously they just need to keep a closer eye on the process.

o

Well the new doors came today and are just as bad or worse then the last set. Now I have 3 sets of hand prints when the shower is steamed up!!! And a square patch on the other panel!!! Along with the wrinkles described on the first post.

Milworkman, would you recommend Cardinal Glass? Or other other glass company?

o

Oh my gosh. I was hoping this post meant you were able to get a successful resolution to the problem. I have no advice but I'm sorry this is happening again. You would think they would have tested it before bringing it to your house just to make sure it didn't happen again.

o

Enduring, email me thru my link above please probably be easier to try and chat on the phone.

o

Lottery, do you have Starphire glass doors? Do your doors show imperfections in the finish of the glass when steamy?

Millworkman, I sent you an email, thanks for the help!

o

My Starfire glass shower (with Showerguard protection) was ordered through Cardinal. No handprints, smears, marks, etc. whether wet or dry. My only complaint is that they drilled the hole for the shower hook about 6" higher than I specified. It's a good thing my husband and I are tall people 'cause it's ridiculously high.

o

Thanks for the info Jewel. That is helpful and supportive information.

o

I am SO sympathetic, Enduring. I hoe you can get this all straightened out eventually. That glass is simply unacceptable.

-Babka

o

Enduring, I do not have Starfire. The glass is perfect even when steamy. It's one of the few things that is 100% perfect in the new bathroom. Ours is still only 90% done but everything (sink, tub, toilet, shower) is functioning so we have been using it for two weeks now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here