Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
piscesgirl

Panasonic WhisperGreen fans - explain how they work!

piscesgirl
9 years ago

We purchased a Panasonic Whisper Ceilling fan with Lutron fan timer switch for our master bath remodel. Currently planning the guest bathroom remodel and have been looking at the WhisperGreen fans since they have DC motors and are more energy efficient.
Does anyone have one of these fans? I am curious as to how they work? My understanding is that they have two control settings on the fan. One which determines the CFM which the fan will constantly run at and another which is a timer that determines how long the fan will run at full strength when "turned on or triggered" Depending on the model it is either "turned on" by a traditional switch or by a motion sensor for the models with this feature. Am I correct so far?

We don't want the sensor model, as this is for a guest bathroom and we don't need the fan turning on full speed every time I walk in the room...even if it is just to stock toilet paper! So I am looking at the basic non-sensor model, but I am a bit confused how they work. So when a person enters the room and flips the switch on (up) the fan will run at full speed for the time designated on the timer. I get that. What happens if when the guest flips the switch off (down), which I assume they would do since they don't know it is on a timer, will nothing happen and the fan continue to run out the length on timer? What happens if the guest doesn't flip the switch off (down), will the next guest need to flip the switch off (down) to turn on the fan since the previous user last left the switch in the "on" or up position?

With the fan being so quiet I am concerned it may be hard for a guest to determine if it is on or off. Am I missing something in regards to how these fans work?

Comments (2)