Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tiling on Concrete Slab & Granite Saddle Installation in Shower

Posted by NJHM (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 26, 12 at 8:18

Hi, I need some help on a couple of questions that came up during our renovation.

- Tile on concrete slab: We would like to put tile in our basement. The concrete floor is smooth finished (our original intention was to just leave a concrete floor and stain it) and has control/isolation joints every 8 feet. A couple of tile guys have expressed that this might be a problem because tile will crack at the control joints and that they will have to tile within those 8-foot square boxes which I think will look ugly. Will Ditra (or any other brand uncoupling membrane) solve this problem?

- Bathrooms: Which is installed first in a shower, the tile or the granite saddles on the shower curb? Who installs the saddles - granite installer or tiler? Please let me know the correct sequence for this is.

Thank you.
NJHM

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tiling on Concrete Slab & Granite Saddle Installation in Show

Yu need to "honor" those control joints. With Ditra, the material should "break" in those areas, as should your tile. The grout joints above them should be filled with a colour-co-ordinated, sanded caulk. The perimeter, also, should have a gap, filled with the same caulk.

o
RE: Tiling on Concrete Slab & Granite Saddle Installation in Show

TileTech - Thank you. Do you have any suggestions regarding the shower saddle issue?

NJHM

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here