Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sousvide23

Exhaust fan won't turn off

sousvide23
13 years ago

Hi all,

It's been one week since we've moved into our new home and since then, the powder room fan has not turned off. There is no switch and I've searched everywhere for a thermostat or control that would shut it off. The powder room is located on the main floor and we have an upstairs and basement. We live on the south-west coast of BC about 30 minutes south of Vancouver. Our current humidity is 81% or around there.

Is it possible that this fan is ALWAYS on?

Comments (9)

• peteinsonj
    13 years ago

That does seem odd --

the vent fans I've seen are either on their own switch (often with a timer) or tied in to go on with a nearby light fixture.

that said, there are vent fans that have their own humidistat -- and will turn on when the moisture levels are high.

you'll need to do a little investigation -- take the cover of the fan and get the name of the manufacturer and the model number. then look it up online.

to me it seems likely you have a fan with a humidistat. some models are adjustable.

• MongoCT
    13 years ago

Some fans are triggered by a humidistat, if this is on one, it's possible the high humidity has closed the circuit. But a humidistat in a powder room isn't the most logical location for an installation.

You could try localizing the circuit that it's powered from by turning off the breakers in the main service panel one-by-one.

IF the fan turns off when power is removed from that bathroom, if you're comfortable, you could also remove the bathroom switch face plate and see if it's simply hot wired, or shorted.

This is a basic bathroom ventilation fan and not an air exchange fan or a heat recovery ventilator, etc? Again, a powder room would not be a logical location for ether of those. If you;re not certain, you could pull the grill off the fan and see if there is a manufacturer and model #.

Then there is also the phone call to the previous owner asking what the deal is with the fan.

• David Simpson
    2 years ago

My whisper green doesn't ever turn off either, I have a motion sensor

• Helen
    2 years ago

If you have a fan without a switch, it is probably one that turns on and off based on ambient moisture levels in the room. I have a Panasonic Whisper fan and that is how it works.

When I moved back after my remodel the fan was on constantly - or almost constantly. The problem was that the humidity sensor needed to be adjusted because it was too sensitive. My HVAC guy was there one day and he just changed the setting and now it runs when it should - it turns on after someone showers - runs for awhile and then turns off.

FWIW, I really like the automatic feature based on moisture as it works perfectly without my having to remember to turn on or off. My bathroom lights are on auto sensor and I really like that feature as well - that is required by California Code in bathrooms to save energy.

• David Simpson
    2 years ago

I solved my problem last night. In the junction box there are two red wires labeled "Signal", if those are wired together or "on" it will bypass the multi-speed timer and motion sensor. The manual is absolutely terrible, shame on Panasonic.

I unhooked them and poof the motion sensor kicked in to gear and turns the fan off completely after 20 minutes.

• DARRYL LEBRON
    last year

You need to put installation around the Box in the attic also the duck run flex cand flex cannot be bent that's that's why it is running constantly because it's not getting your fishing flow I had the same problem I took the band out and put in but insulation around the Box shut off When I tell it to shut off 10 minutes 5 minutes it's working fine

• millworkman
    last year

What???

• tlithgow
    last year

that ain't english

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH