Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hifixer

Ruined Sanagloss finish in Toto toilet?

hifixer
11 years ago

I think I may have damaged the Sanagloss finish in my Toto Drake toilet and I don't know how to fix it. I hope some of you out there can help me.

I got the new toilet installed in June. I did not clean it for the first few weeks because it didn't look like it needed it. Now, so you know exactly what I'm talking about - right after you flush the toilet, the sides of the bowl are still wet from the flushed water. That water on the sides will eventually drain down to the bottom of the bowl and leave the sides spotless. That's how my toilet was for the first few weeks. But then I cleaned my bowl for the first time with a Rubbermaid toilet brush and dishwashing detergent. I didn't think I scrubbed excessively hard. After that the water on the sides of the bowl doesn't drain to the bottom but instead forms water droplets. Then, when those droplets dry they form visible water spots. So now I have these tons of water spots covering the sides of the bowl and they don't look nice at all.

Has anyone else had this problem and how did you fix it? Any help would be appreciated as this is a brand new toilet and I don't want it to look so bad this fast.

Comments (23)

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

Is it possible the DW detergent left residue on the sides of the bowl? They are meant to be used in a DW, with very hot water so perhaps the cold toilet water and brush weren't enough to completely remove the detergent???

I use Lysol TB cleaner and a TB brush to clean our Toto Soirees with Sanagloss every week, and they always look great (FYI, I am careful to avoid or quickly wipe up any TB cleaner drips on the floors to avoid etch marks on our travertine tile). You might want to try using TB cleaner and a brush, and see if that helps, but call Toto USA first.
    They've been very helpful in the past with some minor issues with our toilets.

• pricklypearcactus
    11 years ago

I was thinking the same thing as cat_mom that perhaps the DW detergent left some sort of residue.

• dianne47
    11 years ago

Call Toto customer service in Georgia. When we had problems with missing parts from our new toilet they were extremely helpful. I would rely on their pronouncement, not those of random internet posters.

• hifixer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I did contact Toto and the person I talked to said he never heard of this problem before. He guessed that what might have happened is that the toilet got scratched and that the water was getting caught on the roughened surface. He suggested Rain-X or car wax to refinish the surface but wouldn't I have to remove the water spots first? He didn't say how I would do that.

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

call back and ask someone else. be sure they know what you cleaned it with.

I've never heard of anyone using dw soap for anything but a dw.

• williamsem
    11 years ago

I would guess this has more to do with the soap than the brush. I would try using a sponge with warm water to clean any residue off the sides, there may just be a film on it since dish soap lathers in warm water. A soft sponge and warm water shouldn't hurt the toilet, so I don't see a down side to trying.

Once you wash any residue away, if it still isn't running off, using a traditional toilet cleaner might help. Maybe there is some sort of coating it provides that helps with the water running off vs beading.

Check with the mfg before trying these if it makes you feel better.

• tim45z10
    11 years ago

I should be so lucky, my toto leaves solid waste stains that must be cleaned daily. I wont put up with this much longer. I will be getting a new toilet. Wasted $400.

• itsallaboutthefood
    11 years ago

Toto recommends using a mild detergent to clean their sanigloss. I have been using Mrs. Meyers Clean Day dish soap and it works well. I wonder if the dish detergent you used is too harsh...but I do find it hard to believe that any dish detergent would be too harsh for a ceramic finish. Perhaps there is a residue on it as others have suggested.

Here is a link that might be useful: Toto cleaning advice

• Andrea Kenner
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Everybody raves about the Sanagloss finish, but my experience with these fancy glazed toilets has been quite different. We bought a Toto a couple of years ago, and we mistakenly cleaned it with harsh cleaners. (Previously, you never had to read a manual just to clean a toilet.) Toilet ruined. We replaced the Toto with another toilet that has a similar high-gloss finish. (This one is a Danze toilet we bought at Costco.)

With old-style toilets, cleaning is quick and straightforward. You can use any old toilet brush and just about any cleaner. These newer toilets with the fancy finishes are much fussier. You have to use a gentle cleaner with a soft cloth or brush. My husband doesn't clean his new toilet that often, and every time I open the lid, I am appalled at the mess I see there. I've tried scrubbing it down with Dawn detergent and a soft brush, but that doesn't get the scaled-on residue that sticks to the sides. I finally gave up and started using a standard Lysol (high-acid) cleaner, because the recommended dish detergent simply wasn't working.

Meanwhile, my good old American Standard toilets are just as easy to clean as ever. So I know it's not that I'm an incompetent homemaker.

(Oh, and by the way, my husband uses the other toilets in our house, so I know it's not his body chemistry that's at fault. It's the toilet.)

I am ready to throw in the towel on these fancy new toilets and go back to the tried-and-true American Standard toilets withOUT the fancy finishes. Just sayin'.

• monicakm_gw
    8 years ago

When we bought our Toto Ultramax toilets 7 and 8 years ago I chose not to go with the SaniGloss. There just wasn't enough evidence that it actually worked any better then those Toto toilets without it.

• chispa
    8 years ago

We put in a Toto Legato ($800) in our master bathroom remodel last year. Not impressed at all with the toilet or sanagloss ... it does look pretty on the outside though! Doing the secondary bathrooms now and will not buy Toto again, we are going to try the Icera Cadence toilets.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    8 years ago

If you have hard water, it is probably leaving a film (spots) on the part above the water line, which would happen with any toilet. I just use soap and water and a wash cloth to clean my Totos with Sani-gloss about once a week. Works for me. But then my kids had cloth diapers many years ago where you had to rinse off the "soil" in the toilet then wring out the diaper and toss it into the diaper pail. (without gloves). I'm not squeamish about sticking my hands in the toilet.

-Babka

• homepro01
    8 years ago

I have three toto toilets, all with sana gloss. I have good water and my toilets still look brand new. The oldest one is 9yrs old and the newest one is three years old. I use a soft brush to clean my toilets. I use the seventh generation toilet bowl cleaner or ecover bowl cleaner. For those who are having problems with the sana gloss finish, how do your sinks which I assume are porcelain look? What type of toilet bowl cleaner are you using? Just curious to figure out the differences. I clean my toilets every three days.

Good luck!

• socks
    8 years ago

What kind of soft brush, homepro?

We have water restrictions and do not flush every time. The toilet gets cleaned about every day. I use standard grocery store TB cleaners, Lysol, etc. Sometimes I use Bon Ami. I hope the finish isn't being hurt. (Toto toilet with Sanigloss.)

• homepro01
    8 years ago

Socks,

Bon ami is abrasive and I would not use it in the toilet. The brush I use is from Vipp. The brush heads get replaced yearly.

Good luck!

• Sharon Sells
    6 years ago

Wish I had read these comments before we bought our two newest Toto toilets two years ago. We had bought two others in the home we sold and they were wonderful, easy to clean, reliable and fast flushing. We encouraged all our friends to buy Toto. The two newer ones, bought based on our experience in the '90s, are no where near as good. These both have Sanagloss finishes, which the sales person assured was an improvement (bought in a high end bathroom fixture store, not a chain). We followed instructions very carefully, washing with mild detergents, no powders, nothing too acidic. Took about three weeks and then we began to notice that they were maintaining evidence of debris. It got much worse as time passed, and the creviced design didn't help! We are very unhappy and will never ever buy another Toto. It appears they used a cheap chemical (perhaps even water soluble) to make the "Sanagloss" and then didn't properly glaze the porcelain. One more case of buyer beware....what a shame, the older units were perfect (even tho one of the older ones did have a slight easily fixed mechanical issue soon after bought those), we never had this kind of issue. Shame on you Toto!

• KD
    6 years ago

Our Sansgloss Toto cleans fine. I use the Toilet Duck thing with disposable heads and only use the heads that look like they are made out of toilet paper. I also don’t leave the toilet sitting very long with the cleanser on it.

If there are particularly dirty bits that seem stuck on (doesn’t happen often) I stick some damp toilet paper to the for a while first to loosen everything up. Then flush then ‘scrub’.

The Vespin with Sanagloss so far stays clean WAY easier than the Aquia without. We installed them at the same time.

• lisadlu16
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I use Lime Away Gel toilet bowl cleaner on my Toto with sanigloss. Toilet is one year old. All looks good!

• grannysmith18
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I think part of the problem with some of the comments is that we're not all talking about the same cleaner. Dishwasher detergent is not the same thing as dishwashing liquid. It's the liquids, like Palmolive or Joy or Dawn that are recommended for the sanigloss. Cascade and the like, probably not. I think the person who suggested to wiping off some residue with warm (I'd use hot) water is on to something, if it was dishwasher detergent that was used. Dishwasher detergent needs hot water to dissolve.

• beaniebakes
    6 years ago

I’ve used Dawn dishwashing liquid as well as Lysol Power toilet cleaner on my Toto with Sanagloss and the finish is as good as new after six years.

• Sharon Sells
    5 years ago

Followed all directions; started with Dawn, then Palmolive ... by 3 months in it need to be scrubbed. Maybe out two toilets were just flukes, but both behaved the same way being cleaned the same way (as recommended by Toto) and used by two different people. No more Toto toilets for us.

• Christina K
    2 years ago

I bought two new TOTO with Sanagloss toilets for a condo remodel. Even with proper and diligent care and under two years both toilets have pitted at the water inlets under the rim and water line in the bowl. As you know this leads to a almost constant ring and shadow stain . I’m so disappointed and will never buy or recommend TOTO again.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH