Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flooring and tub/shower surround, please help!

Posted by janealexa (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 28, 11 at 2:33

I am at the point of choosing surrounds and flooring for our bathrooms. What type of flooring is best for kids? I have a little boy who doesn't always have the best aim:) So I want to make sure the floor is easy to clean. Also for the tub/shower surrounds what do you suggest? I like tile for flooring, but I don't like tile in the shower...Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flooring and tub/shower surround, please help!

This is a long thread linked here but I printed it, took a long time to read it, and highlighted things I wanted to do in my remodel. I think it's where I read that porcelain tile was good for floors and a couple people recommended Swanstone for the tub/shower surround. I used Lowes for them to order the Swanstone tub/shower surround kit. Happy reading!

Here is a link that might be useful: classic thread

o

Thanks so much sue_b, I look forward to reading it. I started to, but like you said I'm going to print it out and take my time to go through it!

o

any more thoughts on this??

o

Tile floor with epoxy grout is the most stain-resistant.

Fiberglass surround is easy to clean and much less expensive than Swanstone. But Swanstone does look nicer and is very easy to install.

o

In the kids' bath I will have granite countertops and tile floors. I am considering corian that matches the tile color for the tub/shower combo surround. Do you think that is ok? There will be a shower curtain so it won't be very noticeable that there is a different material there. I just don't like tile in the shower, seems like too much maintenance...

o

I had a Sterling Accord tub and surround installed, and have been so happy with it. No tile, no caulk, and no grout. So easy to clean too. The only caulk is up where the top of the tub walls meet the drywall, a place that's not likely to get wet. Not all Sterling models are caulkless, but the Accord is.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here