Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cultured marble: possible to buff out scratches?

Posted by tomatofreak (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 20, 14 at 2:04

I bought a used, but very nice, vanity with a cultured marble top. There appears to be one section with surface scratches. Is it possible to buff those out? Any other means of shining it up?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cultured marble: possible to buff out scratches?

For real scratches (gouges) you will need a selection of wet/dry sandpapers of various grits, up to 2000. The coarseness you will need to start with varies based on how grave the scratches are. Start with a fine grit like 400, if that oes not get the scratch out, you will need to use more elbow grease or a coarser paper, but you have to then work up to 2000 and not skip any grits in between. 400-600-800-1000-1500-2000. There are finer papers than that, all the way up to 15,000 and beyond that is the polishing compounds.
You can buff it out with auto polishing compound or the kits made for rejuvenating plastic or fiberglass gel coat. Cultured marble is basically a polyester resin with stone dust mixed in.
Casey

o

I get this call all the time. No, it's not really possible to buff scratches out of cultured marble. If it were, I'd be rich.

The problem is if you abrade through the gel coat, you're screwed. You can't apply more gel coat and you'll never get the abraded area to match.

o

If you use a light car buffing compound on a high speed buffer you should be able to get most of the scratches out depending if the scratches went all way through the gelcoat. The friction from the high speed buffer should heat the gelcoat enough to make it pliable. I would try that first.

Here is a link that might be useful: the DIY resource

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here