Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cmc_in_sf

Have you cut holes in your mirror for outlets?

cmc_in_sf
15 years ago

Just wanted to know how hard or easy this would be. The thing that worries me the most is that the holes would be about 2" for the edge and about an inch for the bottom of the mirror. Any suggestions on how to go about this?

TIA,

-Chris

Comments (7)

• shashi2
    15 years ago

It can be done by a glass company. We were going to do this and the place where we were going to get our custom mirror from would have cut 2 outlets into the mirror.

I decided to not go through with this and had our contractor move an outlet to a side wall. (I was never happy with where he put the outlets - just came home one day and they were there. I learned to be more specific on a few things for the next remodel!)

So now we only have 1 side outlet rather than 2 in front of the sinks but my husband and I don't use the bathroom at the same time so it is not a problem for us, but might be a problem for others. (Should the next buyer of our house need more outlets, the nonfunctional cutouts are hidden under the mirror!)

• gumper97
    15 years ago

We are considering cutting holes to mount our sconces directly on the mirror. We were quoted (by the glass company supplying the mirror) $50 per hole to cut, and they can do it for light boxes, outlets, you name it.

HTH.

• cmc_in_sf
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ah, good to know. I'll start getting quotes from glass companies. Thanks!

• lsudude
    15 years ago

Gumper, a good friend just did that and it's beautiful. I'm thinking about copying.

• budge1
    15 years ago

We did it for our sconces like gumper is thinking of. The far sconce was really close to the edge of the mirror maybe an inch or two, but the glass company did it no problem.

• lsudude
    15 years ago

Budgel you're bathroom is beautiful what kind of faucets are those. Can you show a pick of your shower and floor?

• budge1
    15 years ago

Thanks 1sudude. The faucet is grohe. There are more pics in the gallery, but I think my lens was pretty dirty when I took the pics since they are all a bit fuzzy.

Here is a link that might be useful: budge's bath

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner