Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Help Putting Bathroom Together

Posted by Rareindigo (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 3, 12 at 0:45

Starting an update on our tiny bathroom (5 x 7). Tub and toilet are bone/almond and will stay.

Found this dresser (Duck Egg Blue with cream accents) and will convert to a vanity. Should I leave the top as is and use a drop in sink (although I'd be worried about water damage). The dresser has been finished with an antique wax but that's probably not enough protection. I'm also considering a one piece corian counter top in bone to match the other fixtures.

Tile around tub/shower needs to be replaced. I like the look of subway tiles in tub/shower and continuing around the balance of bathroom as wainscotting. Would I go with bone subway tiles? Saw some beautiful 12" x 24" creamy beige tiles that might work too. Would they look too large in such a small bathroom? What size tile would be appropriate?

Thanks so much for any ideas/suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Help Putting Bathroom Together

Pretty! I would definitely do the corian top... Over time even in a lightly used bathroom, there would be water damage in my opinion. What about a vessel sink rather than a drop in? I'm not partial to the round ones, but the rectangular ones remind me of old farmhouse style sinks. Although I like the round ones that have vertical sides... just seem a bit more vintage/modern.

As far as the color of your tiles, you can go with bone and pick up the color of the vanity, or keep it more authentic and just do the standard white 3x6 subway tiles and match the white to the porcelain toilet, bathtub, sink etc.

I think 3x6 size looks nice in a bathroom (ours is very small and that is what we are doing---IMO it's the safest bet.) But I've seen 2x6 as kitchen backsplashes that look really nice too. I am doing the same thing with you---Tiling the shower, and then the room 1/2 way up as wainscotting. Good luck!

o
RE: Need Help Putting Bathroom Together

We used large(r) format tiles in our bathrooms (tub surrounds and floors), which are also small bathrooms. The tile in our hall bathroom tub surround is ~4x12", the tile in our MB tub surround is 8x20". They actually make the bathrooms look bigger rather than smaller.

A Corian, porcelain/fireclay, or natural stone counter or sinktop would look very nice on the dresser. If you can find a one-piece porcelain/fireclay sinktop in a similar, or complementary color (to your tub and toilet), I'll bet it would look smashing. A white/beige marble top would look gorgeous as well, depending on how tolerant you are with regards to the possibility (or probability of etching).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here