Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Waterproof TV for bathroom

Posted by lainie55 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 24, 07 at 0:44

Anyone know a good source for waterproof TVs or have any experience with them? Might be fun to incorporate into new bathroom (or existing for that matter if electric outlet handy)

Can do "in mirror", which I wonder about longevity and is very expensive, or a flat screen "for outdoor use" which is less expensive (but still alot!) and has advantage if put on a wall-attached "pull-out" can change the angle for viewing depending on where you are in the bathroom. (Vs. if flat on wall)

Internet seems to only indicate sources in the UK. Circuit City doesn't seem to carry, although Sanyo brand makes one.

Thanks, all.

Lainie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Waterproof TV for bathroom

Why do you need a waterproof tv? We have a regular Zenith flatscreen in the bathroom. It never occurred to me to get something special. It's hanging from the wall above the vanity.

o

I've never heard of anyone requesting a "waterproof" TV for the bathroom either. I plan on a regular LCD on the wall.
Monica

o

A salesman at Circuit City told me that a regular flatscreen TV would only last "a few days" if exposed to the humid environment of a bathroom.

The cost of a "waterproof" TV is MANY multiples more than a regular flat screen, so I sure would prefer not to spend money unnecessarily.

Because construction has not yet begun, I'm also trying to figure out if I can use some interior wall space to create a niche for the TV, then have some doors to open and close as needed. This would keep out alot of the moisture, I suppose.

But again, maybe not even necessary!

dmlove, how long have you had the TV in your bathroom and how far away is it from the shower???

Ours would be less than 5 feet away from the shower. Although we would have a fan, that is still alot of moisture; as the shower is used by 3 to 4 people.

Thanks all, Lainie

o

Lainie,

I've installed several flat screens behind two-way mirrors, all that is required is a niche in the wall, the mirror, and an IR repeater.

There is no great added expense involved.

In our own master bath, we have an LCD flatscreen at the "foot" of the jacuzzi tub. My wife takes loooooong (1-2 hour) soaks and watches DVDs while in the tub.

There is more humidity in the bathroom when the jacuzzi is running than when showers are taken.

We've had the TV for a few years and it's running strong.

Mongo

o

Mongo, to put a TV behind a mirror, does it have to be an interior wall? The only setups I've seen like this include a walk in closet on the other side of the mirrored wall.
Monica

o

Thanks for the info!

Mongo, what is an IR repeater?

And, for the TV at the foot of the jacuzzi, do you cover it up in any way when not being viewed?

I assume I couldn't put a niche there cause the walls will have shower pipes running through them.

But, lucky me, the other wall is interior and in common with a walk in closet. Maybe I should just build a cabinet niche there anyway to accomodate a TV, or if not used that way, for storage.

But with studs on 16 inch centers, how does one make a niche wide enough for a TV? Or will building codes allow you to make a "square" around the 16 inch centers (like "headers" when creating a window)

Duh--Sorry I think that is a stupid question!

However, the TV at the end of the tub makes the most sense.

I might actually USE the tub if I can watch TV while in it--as opposed to just getting it for resale value of house!

And could see the TV in reflection from vanity mirrors, or at least hear it.

Thanks!

Elaine

o

Elaine, I have a 15" Sharp Aquos LCD TV. It has a feature to "flip" the image for the purpose of watching the reflection in a mirror :)
Monica

o

Monica, WHY you would want to watch the reflection in the mirror, instead of just watching the actual TV?

o

dm, I wouldn't if the TV was in front of me (g) Elaine said "And could see the TV in reflection from vanity mirrors, or at least hear it". Maybe where she is considering putting the TV, she can't see it direct and would need to view it from the reflection in the mirror. Where ever I put my TV, I'm not going to be able to view it from my vanity and tub. If I position it to view from the tub, it will be at my back when I'm at the vanity and vice versa. Does that make sense?

o

That makes sense monica. I don't know why but I think it would drive me nuts to try to actually watch the reflection in the mirror.

o

There�s nothing more relaxing than being immersed in hot bubbles and letting the day�s cares simply wash away. You know when you finally pull out that plug that all those stresses are going to go down the drain!

It�s what to do in the bath that�s the problem. I find reading extremely relaxing, but I have lost count of the number of books that have fallen in the water as I have nodded off � and I�ll bet that this has happened to you too. I�m reluctant to take any electrical items into the bathroom which left me with a bit of a dilemma. However, a waterproof television solved a lot of problems.

One of the latest products to grace bathrooms is a television screen. Constructed using waterproof screens, some have a magic mirror finish and screens can be heated, to prevent condensation. Built-in Freeview comes as standard, as well as digital radio stations, so you can keep up with the latest news and music, or simply unwind watching your favourite episodes of Only Fools and Horses. Bath Hub has a number of different options available and prices currently start at a very reasonable �389! The price tag is a current special offer, so you will need to be quick to order or you might miss it. The regular price tag is �799, so if you want to save yourself a bit of cash, make sure you order now because they can�t hold this price forever.

The television screens are incredibly versatile and can be used in other rooms of the house too, including the kitchen and outdoors so are ideal for your garden party when celebrating the Diamond Jubilee, or watching UEFA 2012 in the garden with your best mates!

How about a romantic bubble bath for two with the gentle strains of Grieg�s Morning Mood music to revitalise and energise, or perhaps something more stirring like Ravel�s sultry Bolero?

If your children who hate bath time, a few minutes with some kids� telly in the bath will soon change their minds.

Delivery is available at an extra charge, but Bath Hub deliver across England and Scotland on a daily basis. If you phone before 2.00 pm, you can even book next day delivery for your complete peace of mind. Bath Hub use advanced security in order to process payments over the internet, so you need not worry about your personal information. Their ordering process is quick and easy, while their customer service advisors are friendly and knowledgeable about their products, providing advanced after care.

The only problem you might have is getting your loved ones out of the bathroom! Buy your waterproof television from Bath Hub today!

Here is a link that might be useful: Choosing the right bathroom TV

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here