Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lainie55

Waterproof TV for bathroom

lainie55
16 years ago

Anyone know a good source for waterproof TVs or have any experience with them? Might be fun to incorporate into new bathroom (or existing for that matter if electric outlet handy)

Can do "in mirror", which I wonder about longevity and is very expensive, or a flat screen "for outdoor use" which is less expensive (but still alot!) and has advantage if put on a wall-attached "pull-out" can change the angle for viewing depending on where you are in the bathroom. (Vs. if flat on wall)

Internet seems to only indicate sources in the UK. Circuit City doesn't seem to carry, although Sanyo brand makes one.

Thanks, all.

Lainie

Comments (16)

• dmlove
    16 years ago

Why do you need a waterproof tv? We have a regular Zenith flatscreen in the bathroom. It never occurred to me to get something special. It's hanging from the wall above the vanity.

• monicakm_gw
    16 years ago

I've never heard of anyone requesting a "waterproof" TV for the bathroom either. I plan on a regular LCD on the wall.
    Monica

• lainie55
    Original Author
    16 years ago

A salesman at Circuit City told me that a regular flatscreen TV would only last "a few days" if exposed to the humid environment of a bathroom.

The cost of a "waterproof" TV is MANY multiples more than a regular flat screen, so I sure would prefer not to spend money unnecessarily.

Because construction has not yet begun, I'm also trying to figure out if I can use some interior wall space to create a niche for the TV, then have some doors to open and close as needed. This would keep out alot of the moisture, I suppose.

But again, maybe not even necessary!

dmlove, how long have you had the TV in your bathroom and how far away is it from the shower???

Ours would be less than 5 feet away from the shower. Although we would have a fan, that is still alot of moisture; as the shower is used by 3 to 4 people.

Thanks all, Lainie

• MongoCT
    16 years ago

Lainie,

I've installed several flat screens behind two-way mirrors, all that is required is a niche in the wall, the mirror, and an IR repeater.

There is no great added expense involved.

In our own master bath, we have an LCD flatscreen at the "foot" of the jacuzzi tub. My wife takes loooooong (1-2 hour) soaks and watches DVDs while in the tub.

There is more humidity in the bathroom when the jacuzzi is running than when showers are taken.

We've had the TV for a few years and it's running strong.

Mongo

• monicakm_gw
    16 years ago

Mongo, to put a TV behind a mirror, does it have to be an interior wall? The only setups I've seen like this include a walk in closet on the other side of the mirrored wall.
    Monica

• monicakm_gw
    16 years ago

Elaine, I have a 15" Sharp Aquos LCD TV. It has a feature to "flip" the image for the purpose of watching the reflection in a mirror :)
    Monica

• dmlove
    16 years ago

Monica, WHY you would want to watch the reflection in the mirror, instead of just watching the actual TV?

• monicakm_gw
    16 years ago

dm, I wouldn't if the TV was in front of me (g) Elaine said "And could see the TV in reflection from vanity mirrors, or at least hear it". Maybe where she is considering putting the TV, she can't see it direct and would need to view it from the reflection in the mirror. Where ever I put my TV, I'm not going to be able to view it from my vanity and tub. If I position it to view from the tub, it will be at my back when I'm at the vanity and vice versa. Does that make sense?

• dmlove
    16 years ago

That makes sense monica. I don't know why but I think it would drive me nuts to try to actually watch the reflection in the mirror.

• User
    4 years ago

We thought about this when we installed a TV out on our porch. That TV (a $300 Samsung) has been in service for about 5 years - on a screened porch next to a lake, in the humid South. We decided it would be cheaper to purchase a new "regular" TV every couple years than it would be to purchase a "rugged" TV. I wouldn't worry about it - purchase an inexpensive regular TV.

• User
    4 years ago

Oh - just saw this was on old thread - sorry! But my advice is the same ...

• sushipup1
    4 years ago

Yeah, a spammer bumped the thread up. I think your advice, Saxchick, is the best.

• Alexandra Umbra
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I’ve ordered Mirror TV from AVEL, so I bought it for 715$ and installation cost me about 50$, but I’ve already had a hole to embbed that device. I like it.

• Connie
    3 years ago

You want a water proof tv so you don’t get electrocuted if it falls into the tub etc

• Jackie
    3 years ago

I’ve had. 32” Samsung tv in my MBA over the jacuzzi for 5 years with no issues. I am fond of hot humid 1-2 hour jacuzzi baths at least 2x,wk and never had a problem. The doir stays open and the room is well ventilated so the tv never ‘sweats’