Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pearl_manwani

Completed bath pics

Newyorking
13 years ago

Finally after 8 long months my renovation is almost done! Here are pictures and details of completed bathrooms. Its so difficult to take pictures on a phone! I will take them once I have my digital camera and post better quality pics.

Kids/Guest bath: Somehow the pics don't look as good, but the bathroom looks very nice in person. http://s767.photobucket.com/albums/xx311/Newyorking_ny/Kids%20Bath/

Floor tiles - Walker Zanger Groove

Wall tiles - Walker Zanger Xilo white, 6x24

Sink - Lacava

Counter - Marble calacatta

Faucet - Lacava

Toilet - Toto Carlyle with washlet

Vanity - African Mahogany cabinet

Shower - Grohe

Accessories - Smedbo

Powder room: Not as nice as I thought it would turn out, and I had to make many last minute changes. I have to yet add the mirror - hopefully then it will look better.

http://s767.photobucket.com/albums/xx311/Newyorking_ny/Powder%20Room/

Floor & wall tiles - Pietra Bedonia sandstone 12x24

Sink - Lacava

Counter - Marble calacatta

Faucet - Dornbracht

Toilet - Toto Drake

Shower - Kohler

Accessories - Smedbo

Master bath:

http://s767.photobucket.com/albums/xx311/Newyorking_ny/Master%20Bath/

Floor tiles - Jerusalem Gold 16x16 except in shower

Wall tiles - Walker Zanger Travertine Palatino 16x16

Sink - Duravit Vero

Counter - Travertine

Faucet - Dornbracht

Toilet - Duravit

Shower - Hansgrohe

Accessories - Smedbo

In the shower, the floor and small wall separating the toilet are of Jerusalem Gold.

Comments (21)

• Newyorking
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Adding pics directly here.

Kids/Guest bath

Powder room

Master bath

• bixa525
    13 years ago

Can I ask, where did you purchase the mirrors and light fixtures in your master bath? I love you master bathroom!

• peteinsonj
    13 years ago

GREAT baths! You must be thrilled to be at the end of 3 bath remodels.

I'm ready to start on 2 baths, enjoy seeing all the ideas. Funny, one bath designer wants to run the the large subway tiles horizontally, the other vertically.

Then I see in your master shower -- you ran them diagonally on the floor! Looks fantastic.

Thanks -- and congrats on the baths

• wi-sailorgirl
    13 years ago

Beautiful job on all three baths. The tile work in all is amazing. I particularly like the 6x24 tiles in the kids' bath and the diagnolly laid subways in the master bath shower floor. Some very creative combinations there. Gosh ... three bathrooms at once; I'd lose my mind!

• Newyorking
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, everyone! I changed my mind so many times, and my architect made decisions on the tile for the guest bath because I could not decide. I wanted to do marble calacatta in the powder room and sandstone on the floors. My architect recommended doing sandstone everywhere and honestly I am very unhappy with the look because it looks harsh and dark.

Peteinsonj, I wanted to run the guest/kids bath wall tiles vertically which is why I bought the 6x24. I saw photos and the vertical arrangement looked lovely. However, I was overseas and my contractor called me saying that if I did it vertically, the bullnose only comes horizontal and will not fit the look. So I gave him the go ahead. The next morning i realized that if we did the tiles vertically, the bullnose will not work in the bathtub area. Anyway by then the deed was done, but it looks very good - really the photos don't show how nice they look.

Bixa525, they are recessed medicine cabinets, Robern M series: http://www.robern.com/product/detail.rbn?productNumber=MP24D4FPN&nightLight=Yes&category=Cabinets&paging.pageIndex=1&paging.pageSize=10&similarProductNumber=MP24D4FP

The wall sconces are Elf 1 from Ylighting: http://www.ylighting.com/ie-elf1.html
    I put two recessed lights in the shower, three in the bathroom, and 3 wall sconces and the lighting is excellent!

• bixa525
    13 years ago

Thank you New Yorking, you should be very proud of your work!

• karena_2009
    13 years ago

Hi newyorking,

Congratulations!!! I remember not too terribly long ago when you were just beginning to plan out these bathrooms. I still haven't started mine ;-). That is quite an accomplishment. I love the square sinks, the carrera marble top, and the grohe shower fixture, and African mahogany cabinetry all with a sleek, minimalist look.

Thanks for sharing!

I like the minimalistic approach to the bathrooms, yet they are very soothing.

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

Very nice contemporary bathrooms! Your vanities are lovely with their simple, clean lines.

I'll bet you are glad they are completed. Our MB is 99+% completed (baseboard, base molding, towel bar in tub area, and tp holder are not in yet, and I'm awaiting the RH summer sale to purchase my towels!). Hall bath is still in the framing/tweaking the framing stage. We gutted both at the same time (March?) and were without bathrooms on the "main" floor for ~3 months (luckily we'd reno'd the guest bathroom and added a shower stall to it a year or so ago in anticipation of this double-reno). Tell me you weren't doing all three of your bathrooms during that 8 month period!

• Newyorking
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, everyone! Cat_mom, I moved to a different place. A friend of mine moved overseas, so we moved to his apartment temporarily. I am moving back next week now that my apartment is done! I am sooo excited! The only thing remaining is the kitchen counter and final inspection. Our contractor told us that if we lived there when the work was going on, it would take much longer, so we decided to move out. Honestly it would have taken 6 months, but we had to change our plans completely mid-way due to building errors which took an additional two months.

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

Oh--lucky you! With DH doing the construction on ours after work ('til very late at night), we got no sleep (tile guy showed up early each morning for 1 1/2-2 weeks towards the end of the work on the MB to tile so no chance to catch up on the zzz's in the AM). I am very glad they won't have to come into the bedroom when we're ready to have them tile the hall bath!

How far was your friend's apt from yours? Same bldg?

• catkin
    13 years ago

Very nice!
    Was the carrara top a pre-fab or did you have it cut? Love it!

• Newyorking
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Catmom, that must have been tough! DIY is always so hard, and its admirable how so many people here have done DIY renovations and they have turned out so well! The apartment was VERY far - increased work commute time from 20 minutes to 1 hour, but I did not have to pay rent which, to be honest, more than made up for the commute time!

Catkin, I used marble Calacatta. I saw a leftover piece at a fabricator's place and used it. Its honed. For the bathrooms, I used leftover pieces, so the master bath counter does not match the wall tiles closely. Since the sizes were so small, I did not want to spend a lot, and Travertine and Calacatta leftover pieces were not hard to find.

My contractor made some decisions - he decided on which Travertine to use for the counter, and the tile size and arrangement in the master shower. I didn't have the time to make those decisions and did not want to hold up the construction till I made time. He has done a fabulous job!

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

It certainly wasn't a barrel of laughs...!

DH did the gut/re-build (framing, sheetrock, spackling...) and He and I painted, but we used our plumber and tile guy for all the plumbing and tile-related work.

Your marble and travertine are beautiful--leftover pieces or not. Sometimes you get lucky that way! I'd say your contractor made some nice design decisions on your behalf!

Your floor tile in the kids/guest bath (WZ Groove) looks similar to the floor tile we used in our MB--Atlas Concorde Glow Is yours textured? Ours has raised striations in/on the surface that feel extremely nice and very inviting (love walking on it with bare feet!). When I first showed a close friend the sample piece, she said the same thing, and I think our plumber would tear ours up and throw it in the back of his van to take home if he could--he just loved the texture. LOL! I fell in love with the tile because of that, before I was even sure if any of the colors it comes in would work!

• Newyorking
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Cat_mom, yes, the tiles on the wall in the kids/guest bath are textured. The beauty of that bath and the tiles does not show in pictures, but this bath turned out much better than expected. DH and I were pleasantly surprised. Its not a tile I would have chosen, but since my architect recommended it we went with it. I would love to see your photos!

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

I meant your floor tile, not the wall tile--but I think that's cool, too! I didn't think I could tell that the wall tile was textured from the pics, but just scrolled back up and yeah, I can see it. I hope you are enjoying all those nice new bathrooms. So far we are thrilled with the way our guest bathroom and the MB turned out, and have high hopes for the 3rd and final bathroom which is being worked on now.

Haven't posted finished bathroom pics yet, but hope to before too long. I did take one pic of the floor while snapping some quick pics to send to some friends, but the color's very "off" so want to try out some different camera settings and see if it helps. Besides the off-coloring, the room is impossible to photograph (it's very small, even after adding a foot in width).

• sundownr
    13 years ago

That must have been a lot of work to do 3 at once. They all turned out wonderfully! I like the floors and tiles in all of them and would love to see them with a better camera. :)

cat mom, try the tungsten setting on your camera's white balance and the pictures shouldn't be too yellow/orange.

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

Do Canon digital cameras (not SLR) have a tungsten setting? I usually use auto mode but there are a bunch of other modes I can try....

• Newyorking
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Catmom, yes the floor tile is textured but the texture is very light, and you can barely see it. My stuff is in storage. I am moving into the new place this week, and will get my camera from storage. I can finally live a normal life! I don't even have my summer clothing because the movers put them all the way to the back in storage, and I don't have the strength to move the couch and mattress to get to my clothing! Never again...

• kaylie15
    13 years ago

Beautiful Bathrooms! Where did you get those nice deep niches in the wall of the Master Bath Shower?

• Newyorking
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Kaylie. The niches were done by my contractor. He put slabs of Travertine arranged as you see in the pics. There was a lot of space in the walls between pipes. The entire master bathroom was relocated, so I had to build a wall to accommodate pipes, but lost a lot of space between the pipes.

• kaylie15
    13 years ago

I'm going to show the pics to my contractor and see if he can make them as deep. Yours is the first I've seen so nice. They're usually so shallow. Thanks!

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor