Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kerfuffle6

hand showers on slide bars

kerfuffle6
11 years ago

I would like to install hand showers with slide bars in all the showers in my new house. It is, of course, critical that the shower stay put on the bar and, at the same time, be easy to adjust. I would like the hand showers to have great massage settings, as well as a setting that is good for rinsing shampoo out of long hair. If you have this set-up and are happy with it, please tell me which brand and model you recommend for both the slide bar and the hand shower.

Comments (9)

• kfhl
    11 years ago

I don't have either one, but we are putting Kohler flipsides on slide bars in our new home. The bar is just basic and you can choose wall trims to match. I have tried it out in a showroom - just by reaching in and feeling the different sprays. I have also heard great things about them from a friend and our plumber.

• kaysd
    11 years ago

We used the Hansgrohe Raindance 36" Wallbar Set in our last house and are using it again for our new master bath. The "E" style is good for transitional or contemporary (maybe traditional) and the "S" is more modern. The water pressure is great for getting shampoo out of my long hair. The height adjustments are great, but so is the up-down pivot. The water stream can be focused straight down, straight out (great for the lower back), or any angle in between.

Here is a link that might be useful: Raindance

• kerfuffle6
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the recommendation, kaysd. I am trying to figure out how the Raindance slide bar is designed. Is there a channel in which the hand shower holder moves up and down? Does the shower get screwed into position? And what type of mechanism allows you to tilt the hand shower when it is in its holder? Is there another screw, or does it just depend on resistance? I have read that Hansgrohe makes the best hand showers. Do you agree? They are expensive; I just want to make sure they're worth it!

• Lynne Reno
    11 years ago

we have a Hansgrohe handheld, it's great. I included a link to a site that has closeout Hansgrohe handheld units. I have ordered faucets from them before and they arrived quickly and were perfect- can't beat the price!

Here is a link that might be useful: Hansgrohe Closeouts

• davidro1
    11 years ago

Moen makes a slide bar that is also a "Grab Bar".

• kaysd
    11 years ago

I can't say if Hansgrohe handshowers are the "best" because I have not tried that many, but we have been very happy with the last two and are installing a third. The Raindance bar has a channel down the middle. There is an "arm" that arcs out to hold the handshower and the arm travels up and down the channel. There is a hinge in the arm that lets it be turned left or right. The handshower rests in what looks like a ball socket at the end of the arm that lets it be tilted forward or backward. It is hard to describe. You should go look at one in a showroom. Hansgrohe makes several wall bars, but the Raindance Unica has the widest range of pivot adjustments.

• edymoreno
    11 years ago

We have the Grohe Relexa 5 shower set. The hand shower bar stays put by turning it a 1/4 to 1/2 turn and it locks into place by compression. You can still swivel it around left and right, and if you really want, can also move it up and down without loosening it. It also freely tilts up and down on the holder it sits in.

In the link, you can click on the magnifying glass for a bigger view, and you can see where you tighten it and where it tilts.

The bar itself has a nice and hidden locking system. You use a provided tool that goes into the rings/bar holder and that tightens/loosens the bars.

Here is a link that might be useful: Grohe Relexa 5

• flicka001
    11 years ago

I have a Hansgrohe Unica S bar with Raindance S handheld. I've only had it about 6 weeks, but it is easy to use. It is easy to raise, lower, tilt, etc. I wasn't so happy when the contractor installed it because they mounted it about 6 inches off center (they told me it would be slightly off center, but in a 32 inch wide shower, I don't consider 6 inches to be slight). However, because it pivots and I can angle it towards the center, it has ended up working fine. My main lesson learned though is make sure that the contractor shows you where they plan to mount it before they put it up.

• flicka001
    11 years ago

One other thing ...
    A local plumbing company was my contractor. They highly recommended Hansgrohe, so I went with their recommendation.

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz