Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loves2cook4six

Does the toilet paper stay on the rod of the new designs?

loves2cook4six
11 years ago

Like this one:

I can just see the cat and dog chasing toilet paper down the stairs

Comments (17)

• pricklypearcactus
    11 years ago

I imagine that little knob on the end should keep the toilet paper in place.

I have the Restoration Hardware Spritz toilet paper holder.

So far the toilet paper seems to stay on without difficulty. I intentionally installed it so when you're sitting on the toilet and pull on the paper, the force goes towards the closed side of the holder to make it less likely the toilet paper will come off the holder. It's convenient for putting on new rolls and at least sort of encourages other people in the house to actually put the roll on the holder instead of setting it somewhere and expecting me to do it.

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

We have Ginger Motiv toilet paper holders (Sine and ?), and they seem to hold onto the tp rolls pretty well.

• tetrazzini
    11 years ago

Ours is basically like your picture. It holds the TP on fine. The cats haven't caught on to it.

• Jamie
    11 years ago

I have one without a knob on the end and without the upcurve on the end of the rod. The roll wants to slide off, if you use it single-handed, when it gets low and light. It stays on pretty well until about 7/8 if the paper is used. In our installation, the rod does not want to stay perpendicular. If you twist the holder so that the right is slightly above perpendicular the per stays on fine, but it doesn't look real good.

I avoided these for the new bathrooms.

• qt314b
    11 years ago

Personally I don't care for these TP holder designs, at my SIL house the TP is forever falling off It might just be the deisgn of that holder being faulty.

Rachel

• allison0704
    11 years ago

I bought one (another company) for our powder room. TP roll has never come off and we've lived here almost 7 years. Cats and dogs don't bother our TP either.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Ours is more like prickly pear's and we don't have an issue...just so long as the open part is away from where you sit, so as you tug on the paper toward you, it doesn't come off.

• kashmi
    11 years ago

Loves2Cook4Six, we have a TP holder similar to yours and it works well. We also have a style similar to PricklyPearCactus' in another bathroom. In our experience, while both styles work well for people, neither style is dog proof, especially given a motivated hound!

From Beagles

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

The best part is it's so easy to replace the roll that I'm not the only one in the house who does it any more! wahoo!

• salem1772
    11 years ago

This reminds me of something funny a friend's 4 year old daughter said one day while admiring the TP holder just installed in their new house. Regarding the subject of replacing the empty roll of TP, she remarked to her mother, "it is so easy even a man can do it!"

Out of the mouth of babes. . .

• loves2cook4six
    Original Author
    11 years ago

LOVING these replies

kaysd, that comment is useless without pictures to support it

Annie, YEA!

Lizb, MY dh says "Wonder where she heard that before" ROFLMAO

Thanks everyone. Makes the decision a little easier as I have seen tons of these in showrooms and we need a cleaner more contemporary look than I seem able to find with the two post holders.

• flicka001
    11 years ago

They work fine. Just don't mount it directly over the floor vent :)

When I bought my house, the previous owner had just remodeled the bathroom (I don't think she ever used it ... just remodeled to sell) and the toilet paper holder was mounted just above the floor vent.

Sometimes when the air would come on, it would catch the tail of the toilet paper. After several occasions where I came into the bathroom to find all the toilet paper off the roll and on the floor, I moved it.

• susiemw
    11 years ago

I have one like that and i love it. The toilet paper stays on and it's so easy to change the TP.

Susan

• cottonpenny
    11 years ago

We have that style. The TP stays on. It is easier to change the roll. It's a marginal difference, really. But I'm lazy, so therefore, I like them.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

If you're concerned, I was in a hotel once where they had a post like the first one posted and they mounted it with the post up so the t.p. couldn't fall off.

• loves2cook4six
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Annie when you do it that way, then it's called a spare paper holder ;) and it costs more :)