Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtpam2

Pocket or Standard Door - Bathroom off Kitchen

mtpam2
11 years ago

My small bathroom - 6 1/2 x 6 1/2 plus vanity jog, is located just off my kitchen. We had a standard door which swung into the bathroom to the left, going just about 90 degrees before hitting the toilet. Directly across from the toilet is the Sink and Mirror to the right of the door opening.

This diagram shows the room I have available. Currently it is gutted and we were going to put a pocket door in to give me more room inside the bathroom. We were moving the doorway down a couple inches since we are replacing the toilet with an elongated one that is about 1 1/2" longer than old toilet.

My dilemma is the sight line from my kitchen into my bathroom. Before if the bathroom was left open, the door hid the toilet from view. Like this -

With the pocket door I think it will have to be kept mostly closed to get the same effect. And if someone goes in just to wash hands, the toilet will be in plain view. I don't know if this is a big deal or not, as it mostly just my husband and myself at home anymore and we entertain seldom and then it is usually family at the holidays.

I have added a copy of my proposed kitchen layout so you can see the bathroom doorway in relationship to the kitchen as a whole. The bathroom is at the bottom of the kitchen layout.

Do you think I should go ahead with the pocket door for the added room in the bathroom, or would a standard inswinging door be a better choice?

Any input you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Pamla

Comments (7)