Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blueberry22_gw

Slab foundation plumbing

blueberry22
13 years ago

We are experienced old house renovators in New England. However we are thinking of buying a home in Florida which needs extensive work. I've been pouring over the plans putting together a list of work, and ideas of what I would do in order to figure a budget/ offer amount. Tonight my husband reminded me that moving plumbing around on a slab is very different than working with a full basement.

Can anyone give me a rough idea of what is involved?? I would want to move the fixtures in two bathrooms and add the washer and dryer to the guest bath (it is huge and right now they're in the corner of a small kitchen). ALl the fixtures would stay in the same rooms, and I assume the floors would have to come up- but they need to be replaced anyway. SO am I the least bit in reality or is what i am proposing very unrealistic??

Comments (5)

• User
    13 years ago

Sure it's realistic. It's not going to be cheap but doable.

You need to find a company that specializes in concrete cutting and coring . They will come and saw up the floor so that you can then hammer out the sections that have plumbing and the new place that it needs to go.

Plumber then comes to do his thing.

Concrete guys come and re- pour and finish the slab. It's a fairly messy and expensive affair and most people find it's not within their budget.

• blueberry22
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for your very prompt response. Maybe a silly question but when you say expensive are we talking 1000 for a 10x5 foot bath- for the concrete part- or 5000 or 10000. Just trying for some general ballpark.

Also I assume that if it were just a question of moving a sink down a few feet they could run the pipes through the cabinets- not optimal but doable. It would be moving a toilet or adding a drain for the washing machine that would pose the major problem.

• wrighthouse
    13 years ago

I would talk to some plumbers first. My plumber was willing to rent a concrete saw and cut out the sections or have his apprentice do it for an extra hundred or so an hour. But first, he wanted us to hire a company to run a camera through the drains to make sure we knew where they were and that they were all sound. You could probably rent the saw and cut the trenches yourself once you knew where they should be. We patched the trenches ourselves with bagged concrete. There was no need to refinish the whole slab. I tiled directly over it using an isolation membrane. It's been more than five years and we have had no problems.

• jamielab
    13 years ago

Our plumber just moved our drain in the slab, re-routed shower plumbing in the wall, removed plumbing for one vanity, changed us from a single vanity to a double on another wall, and fixed a problem with my washing machine. He fixed the concrete around the drain and left us with a smooth floor (w/pre-slope and a square brass shower drain). Charged $75/hour, took all day. Total was $1,000 (including the $350 in supplies).

• blueberry22
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thankyou for your response. That is exactly the information I was hoping for.