Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Heated floor not working

Posted by renov8r (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 5, 12 at 23:57

We had our new heated floor completed about a year and a half ago. About 3 months ago it didn't heat up. We have had the thermostat replaced and it still does not work. Are we now faced with replacing all the floor to fix the problem? Yikes!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Heated floor not working

Before they replaced the thermostat, they should have ohmed the coils. if that was the problem, they should not have replaced the thermostat. Do you have pics of the coils on the floor, before the drybed was put over it? by scrutinizing those you may be able to find location of existing problem, possibly fix it there. to be honest it is usually, at the wall/floor joint, where the wires go from the floor up to the thermostat. If the wire was left too much out it will overheat in this area, from no substrate to absorb the heat, wire just overheats, and burn itself in 1/2, or it could have been pulled up too tight and crimped in the wall, making a minicoil that overheated, or possibly a steeple was put in too tight, I would take my chances with drywall demo between floor and thermostat before i started on floor. May just be repairable, if its the main wire, before the resistance wire starts.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here