Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
50's bathtub grout

Posted by craestaines (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 17, 13 at 23:12

The bathroom in my 1950's ranch is damp ALL the time. There is a window above the bathtub that is opened during every shower, but the moisture still builds up. Is this the reason for the mildew and mold that I am constantly battling on the bathtub tile grout? Will an installation of a fan/vent clear up the mildew problem or could it be from moisture build up behind the tile? (I don't think that's the case because behind the tile is inches thick concrete mortar...) Any information will be much appreciated. I'm trying to decide if I need to replace the bathtub tile.
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 50's bathtub grout

An exhaust fan is a must. I don't know if you need to redo the tile. But either way you need an exhaust fan. I had a poorly working fan and my ceiling got moldy. When I replaced the fan much later, my ceiling stopped molding up. Now with my remodeling my plan is to have a wet location approved lighted vent inside the shower as well as another one at the other end of the room. It will be an inline fan. The fan will be located remotely, within the attic, and the vents ducted to the fan, which will be ducted through the roof.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here