Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dljmth

Guest Bath Finished!

dljmth
10 years ago

Finally, our guest bathroom is complete. Here are the details.

Geotech Geogray field tile 12x24 and cut to 4x4 for shower floor.

Happyfloors Neostyle Chalk 12x24 tiles in shower

Vogue Bay Magic Glass in Tropical Gray - the big splurge

Aspen White quartzite countertop - found a remnant at the fabricator's shop so I (partially) made up for the mosaic

Hansgrohe fixtures in polished chrome

Toto Aquia dual flush skirted toilet

Rift-cut white oak vanity with a custom stain (natural with a black/gray wash)

Atlas U-turn cabinet pulls in satin nickel (yes, I mixed finishes but the chrome ones looked too shiny)

Paint - Benjamin Moore Green Tint - it is almost the exact color of the "white" part of the mosaic. The pictures make the walls look more gray when in fact they are slightly green (almost minty). The 3rf to last picture shows the color best

Starfire glass door - not a great expense since the door is so small.

George Kovacs light fixture

Still need some towels - I really like orange to make the room pop or maybe a chartreuse color. Also need some art work for the large wall you see as you enter and maybe a shelf to the left of the sink or possibly a hand towel bar.

We were supposed to have a curbless shower, but our GC talked us out of it. He is a conservative builder and thought it was too risky (small shower just barely meeting slope reqs) and didn't want to build it unless we used a linear drain and the expense was out of our budget. It was that or the mosaic tile.

Nonetheless, I am really pleased with it.

This post was edited by laurat88 on Sat, Jun 29, 13 at 12:09

Comments (28)

• musicteacher
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

That is an amazing bathroom.

• williamsem
    10 years ago

That looks amazing! The mosaic looks like just the right scale for the room and space tiled. I really love that floor tile too.

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

Your guests will be spoiled using that bathroom--they won't want to go home!! LOL

It looks absolutely terrific!

• pricklypearcactus
    10 years ago

Gorgeous! I love what you've done.

• lauren0319
    10 years ago

Beautiful!!!!

• alex9179
    10 years ago

Your guests are very lucky! Your mosaic is so cool. Would you share the dimensions of the room and of your finished shower?

• enduring
    10 years ago

Fine, fine, fine! Very sophisticated in a reserved way.
    I like how you brought the gray tile up the wall on the toilet/vanity wall.

Questions:

1) What brand light fixture did you use? Is it a Tech Lighting brand?

2) Towel bar, what brand and model?

3) Your counter edge is nicely done. Is it mitered?

4) Is you other baseboard trim painted wood?

• shanghaimom
    10 years ago

Beautiful! The Aspen White is so pretty...the gorgeous wood of the vanity...the way everything fits together so snug and perfect. Like a sleek jewel box. You're very kind to put a bathroom like this in for your guests!

I like your orange towel idea. I was just at West Elm and the have some nice wall art these days--here's one I popped into your wall shot just for fun. The frame is white and the paper floats. They're nice.

• dljmth
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the nice comments. This is a new construction. We moved the kitchen (reveal coming soon) and added a guest bed and bath. The bath will be the main public area bath. It sits off a hallway that leads toward the guest bedroom and the garage/mudroom. I love the floor tile. It has a really nice texture to it that feels great beneath your feet. The mosiac was supposed to go all the way to the floor, but I changed that for two reasons. It's expensive and I didn't like the thought of having to clean so much grout behind the toilet! We played around with the height on where to make the switch and picked a point that minimized cutting of tile and wasn't too matchy-matchy with the vanity and toilet. The white tile is just like its name - chalky. It has a slight vertical grain and nice texture as well.

enduring - The light is from George Kovacs. It was the largest I could find as we wanted something centered on the wall rather than just over the vanity. We debated about having such a large mirror. It's unusual (men comment that it is strange :)). Most baths you see have wall behind the toilet with shelves, mosaics, paintings, etc. But I really like it as it does make the room feel very large.

The vanity has a 2" mitered edge and about a 1" overhang.

The shower fixture is actually Grohe - Power & Soul. It wasn't too expensive. http://tinyurl.com/qecufb4

The controls are Hansgrohe 04230 S Thermostatic Valve Trim. The towel bar is Hansgrohe 40516 E and S Accessories. I actually don't like it so much - especially for the price. I think there are less expensive ones that are just as nice.

The baseboard is just wood plain stock. That was actually a bit of a mistake. The contractor thought we didn't want any base because we wanted a sleek look, but I actually wanted something just for water protection. So the tile person didn't quite get the lip of the shower ledge correct. It should have come out another 3/8" to meet the baseboard. Not really a big deal in the overall scheme of things. All in all, the tile work was really well done. They used Schluters to keep all the corners and edges crisp.

alex9179 - here is a picture of the layout. It's not quite accurate. The shower is actually about 30" not 34" as shown. That square item is a steel post which wound up being a couple inches to the right. We were supposed to have a shower niche there but couldn't so put it shelves instead. Hind sight, we should have put a niche next to the shower bar, but I do like that the shampoo, etc. is hidden.

Shanghaimom - THANK YOU! That looks great. I will check it out. I saw something similar that had a little orange in it too. Plus I think I might have something in the boxes we are still unpacking.

This post was edited by laurat88 on Sat, Jun 29, 13 at 15:29

• selphydeg
    10 years ago

This is a truly gorgeous bathroom. You must have spend a fortune on those mosaics!

• onedog3cats
    10 years ago

Absolutely beautiful!! Love the orange pop of color! Fantastic job on everything!

How do you like the toilet? We are putting one in our guest bath remodel and hope we made the right decision! I hope to find out next week!

Enjoy!

• bees_knees
    10 years ago

Beautiful...love the mosaic tile. You used it in such a great way.

• dljmth
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@onedog3cats - the toilet is great. We like the dual flush. We anticipated this bathroom would be used the most since it is meant to service guests, kids, anyone during the day as it is near the kitchen/family room. But no one really uses it (yet). They still go to the back of the house to use the old kids bathroom. It will take awhile to adjust routines.

@lilymila - yes, the mosaics were expensive and a splurge, but we did some things to limit the cost. We needed about 18sqft. We were originally going to go to the floor with the mosaic behind the toilet, but that was a waste. We made the mirror larger than originally planned and made the height above and below it so that we would have no leftover/half pieces and it worked just right. We had only 1 full 12x12 leftover that I will keep in case we have to replace any broken glass pieces. We probably should have eliminated the return splash to the left of the sink. It's not really needed and would have saved another 1.5 sqft. All in all though, I met my tile budget with a remodel of a laundry room (50sqft of $1 white Home Depot Tile!), remnant pieces (practically free) for all the mudroom cabinet counters and this bathroom, and middle of the road selections on kitchen counter and floor tiles. Plus, I went with lower cost polished chrome fixtures even though I really wanted satin nickel. I was determined to not go over budget on the project and I wanted to splurge only where I thought it would make a big impact - mosaic.

We have one more bathroom (kids - the one that is used the most in the house) to eventually remodel. Hoping with this experience I can find some other good deals on tiles and remnants.

Thanks to all the GW'ers for helping make it turn out so well!!

• annkathryn
    10 years ago

Very pretty, Laura! Everything ties together so well and I like the pop of orange. Didn't you originally have the walls painted orange too or am I remembering wrong? The color you chose is lovely.

• Denitza Kotov
    10 years ago

Great job Laura! Love it! Enjoy!

• kaysd
    10 years ago

What a sleek, lovely bathroom! I love the combination of the mosaic, gray floor tiles and that lovely quartzite remnant. We had that same toilet installed 2 years ago in our hall bath and really like it.

• kaysd
    10 years ago

How high does your vanity float off the floor?

• michoumonster
    10 years ago

beautiful bath! i really enjoyed your kitchen. i love all the colors and tile you put together for your bath also. your cabinets really are superb!

• dljmth
    Original Author
    10 years ago

annkathrn - yes, I was going to paint the wall you see as you walk in orange but was talked out of it by so many people! I think it was the right decision. These colors go better with the rest of the house and I can use color in the towels.

kaysd - the cabinet is about 12" off the floor. We ran the mosaic to a mid-way point because we didn't want to many corners to meet and possibly be "off". We were also trying to limit the mosaic. Hind sight, it might have been better to just keep it level with the sink. Certainly would have kept the costs down a little more!

• LE
    10 years ago

This goes into my Favorites file right now-- great job!

Looking at it, you'd never think that the word "budget even crossed your mind. I know you are at that point where you still wonder about a few of the detailed decisions, but I bet that fades quickly. Do you have design training or just great instincts?

• dljmth
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks lori_inthenw for your kind words.

No, I don't have any formal design training - just lots and lots of generous help from the forum and from the tile shop and cabinet maker (if you are in the SF Bay Area - PM me for the contact info). The designers really helped quite a bit and were patient with all my questions. :)

We are super happy with the remodel and indeed, we had a "first world" budget so I can't complain and you are right - all those details fade quickly.

Still lots more to do but we will get there! :)

This post was edited by laurat88 on Sun, Jul 14, 13 at 20:01

• kimster812
    7 years ago

@dljmth I love what you did with this shower. I've been looking online for examples of the Happy Floors Neostile Chalk tiles being used in a shower. Are you happy with that now that you've had this done for a few years? Where did you buy the Neostile Chalk tile? Thanks!

• dljmth
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@kimster812 The Neostyle Chalk - is exactly that - it seem to have a chalky finish which works well with the shiny mosaic. Everything has held up well. Our house is transitional - more on the traditional side, so this bathroom is feels modern compared to the rest of the house. I still love the way this bathroom turned out and guests love it too, but if I had to do it over again, I might chose something a little less modern so that it blended better with the rest of the house.

• kimster812
    7 years ago

@dljmth great thanks! I'm doing a mosaic sequin pattern with it as well. I'm torn on whether or not the tiles should go horiztonal or vertical, but at the moment have planned for my trim/accent/mosaics to go horiztonal around 3 shower walls, so likely the tile will also follow suit. ;) Did you use the Neostile mosaic pieces at all?

• kimster812
    7 years ago

@dljmth Here's what I'm hoping to do with it with my accent pattern....

• dljmth
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I like your accent tiles. It looks like they will work well. Are they Neostyle too?

• kimster812
    7 years ago

No....just accents from Bedrosians. I am thinking about doing the Neostyle mosaics for the shower pan though.

• flyingkite2015
    7 years ago

I like your countertop, it looks like a marble while actually it's a quartzite!