Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help - space between vanity and wall?

Posted by msbellamia (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 11, 07 at 23:05

I want to install a furniture style vanity in my bath however I would only hve about 5" of space between the vanity and the wall. My husband doesn't think having that open space would look right and wants to get a vanity that fits up against the wall. Is he right?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help - space between vanity and wall?

Why the gap? Can the furniture be modified? Is the plumbing the issue?

o

Are you talking about the back of the vanity or the sides of the vanity? If you are talking about the sides of the vanity, I also have a gap on both sides of my vanity because I set mine in an alcove. See below:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

How does it work if there is a gap along the back of the vanity? Wouldn't all kinds of junk fall down there?

o

I draw up everything a million times before I actually lift a finger to do something and I have a similar scenario. We have a free-standing vanity that is only a few inches from the wall it's next to and I don't think it looks odd at all... I think 5" is plenty of room for it to actually look free-standing. Here is one option that I drew for my own bathroom (when we were thinking of keeping the original cast iron radiator in place and just painting the radiator cover for it). There is about 5" to the side of the cabinet and 4" to the side of the vanity top.

As you can see really the biggest problem with having it so close is not the vanity itself but the sconces are a little cramped. If you're not planning to do a medicine cabinet flanked by sconces that is so close to the width of the vanity then it will be fine (if you are doing a light over your medicine cabinet it would definitely be fine).

Here's another option where we replaced the radiator with a myson towel warmer/radiator combo. I think it looks better, but because there are no longer two "cabinets" side by side and because the sconces have more breathing room. The vanity cabinet itself had plenty of room in the first I think.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here