Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bigfootlabrador

redoing loose wall tile

bigfootlabrador
10 years ago

We bought a house with several failed remodeling projects in it. The prior owners hired people who had no idea what they were doing. They (contractor would be an exaggeration) put 12x12 inch ceramic tile onto regular dry wall with blobs of something that looks like regular plaster. No notched trowel, undoubtedly the wrong adhesive, and I suspect applying this to drywall wasn't a good idea either. The blobs are about 5/8" inch thick. Many of the tiles are loose and we have removed them so they don't fall. More loosen up each month.

Surprisingly, the shower and tub appear hold water and drain without leaks. Their sinks are amazingly ugly, but do work.

I am trying to figure out a reasonable way to take off about 50 square feet of this wall tile and put it back on safely.

We are likely to redo the whole bathroom in a few years. Thus, I am hoping for a process which isn't terribly expensive or difficult. The current tiles have a ribbed texture on the back. They are in areas that wouldn't normally get wet, but it does get humid/steamy. They are not inside the shower stall.

Suggestions? I can put thin hardi or fiber cement board over the current drywall. Or I can cut out the current drywall and put in a thicker hardi/ fiber cement board. Any particular tile adhesive (e.g., premixed TEC)? Any traps for the unwary?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County