Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laylad_gw

Vanity Countertop -- HELP!!

laylad
9 years ago

We simply cannot make a decision on what countertop to put in our two bathrooms that we are remodeling. It's holding our entire project up & driving me crazy!!!! My home is painted on various shades of grays and has a Restoration Hardware / West Elm / Crate & Barrell feel to it.
My master will have dark brown porcelain "wood" tiling on the floor, white subway tiles laid in a herringbone pattern in the shower with a gray mosaic penny tile shower floor. The walls are currently painted dovetail gray and will likely stay that color. The cabinets & trim are white, as well as a window with white shutters. So what countertop would complete this bathroom with a modern rustic feel? We currently have Suprehe White selected but I'm starting to worry that will be too "loud"....? Our main floor/kids bath is pretty much the same and we would like to do Caesarstone Concrete quartz in there if we can find a remnant. Should I go w the Concrete in there, too? Or Cambria Fieldstone (slightly darker than the concrete) or just stick with the Supreme White?! Help I'm going insane! Thanks for any expert advise ðÂÂÂ

Comments (7)

• amberm145_gw
    9 years ago

I'd do a grey.

I have plans for a similar colour pallet as you've described. I'm still undecided on the shower floor and counter, but I've got white tile, porcelain "wood" floors, white cabinets and probably white walls. Grey has been a possibility in the shower.

So I'm picturing "my" bathroom with a grey floor in the shower, and it seems to stand out in my mind. Lots of white, some "wood", and then this lone bit of grey tile. Doing a grey counter top makes the shower floor intentional IMO.

• jaynes123_gw
    9 years ago

Im stealing / modifying your intro. as my reply to hows the house coming along: I am unable to decide on things, holding up construction and going crazy because of it.

Loud? Suprehe White sounds like a nice whisper to me on a white vanity.. With dovetail gray walls, white vanity which sound like a lovely pairing, and the Suprehe sounds understated yet classic, very appropriate.

Personally, I'd go with the Cambria Fieldstone with its darker contrast for the vanity.

• laylad
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Amberm, valid point on a gray countertop making the gray floor seem intentional! Hadn't thought if that. The Supreme white is quite gray so I still feel like it pulls it all together, just have fears of it being too busy. Hmmm.

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

Are you okay with marble in your bathroom? That supreme is most likely a marble despite being marketed at "granite".

I'd also go with a Gray.

• laylad
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Not really, lol. Just figured out that it is marble last week and turned things upside down. Frustrating! It's our master so I'm more ok with it than, say, our boys bath, but only if I loooove it and I'm starting to question how much I really love it. Here is our shower floor and bathroom floor to give you an idea of what's going in there. As I said before, white subway tiles laid in a herringbone pattern in the shower.
    Thanks all! Loving the advice.

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

I was going to suggest a simple solid gray--concrete like color.

• LARemodel
    9 years ago

I'm attaching a photo I took of new construction in my area where the builder used a similar color scheme that you describe. The countertops are "Super White,"(aka Supreme White and Fantasy White) which, as know, is a dolomitic marble.

This bathroom has wood-look porcelain, white cabinets, walls are painted a blue-gray, bath / shower combo and vanity backsplash has white subway tiles. The master bathroom in this house is all marble.

There are some alternative countertop materials that may work for your color scheme if you decide against engineered quartz countertops. Stained concrete is a possibility, but it will give more of an "urban" look. Natural light-gray (non-marble) stones are White Macaubus quartzite, Princess White quartzite and White Pearl quartzite. Cristallo quartzite is another option, but it's pricey and some slabs look more yellow than grey. Another option is to match the floor tiles with a charcoal brown color on the countertops - such as elegant brown quartzite or brown sequoia granite