Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rmmarko

5 ft x 8 ft 5' Bathroom Challenge

RMMarko
12 years ago

We are having a major challenge in trying to utilize the space of this small full bathroom. We are preparing to gut the entire bathroom and start from scratch. We would like to include a tub/shower into the space. Any suggestions/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

There is a door at one short wall, and a window opposite the door.

Comments (8)

• sw_in_austin
    12 years ago

We are just finishing a similarly sized bathroom, with what sounds like a similar layout. Ours is 7.5 feet x 7 feet, with the door on one short wall and the window on the opposite wall.

The best decision we made, I think, was changing the inward swinging door to a pocket door. That door took up so much space in the small room and not having it is a huge improvement. Beyond that the layout is the same as what was there before: tub along one long wall, with a wall and base cabinet (with a small counter surface -- the old cabinet was very deep, floor to ceiling, no counter) taking up the remaining space on that wall. The toilet and sink are on the other long wall. We went with a console sink, with a long shelf running the entire length of that wall, from window to door, above the sink, to give space for setting stuff. We also put in a recessed medicine cabinet. We're hoping that will give enough storage (along with the cabinet).

It should be finished -- or at least usable -- by the end of the week. It's looking good so far but the true test will come when we start using it again!

Good luck with your reno.

• sue_b
    12 years ago

I have the same layout as staceyneil's first bath in her post.

I did 3 spacesavers: the most narrow Toto toilet available, had a semi custom kitchen cabinet company make a vanity from a sink base cabinet 18 inches deep and 22.5 inches wide, and recessed a wood toilet paper holder into the vanity side.

I copied the posted layout from someone else's post but it's close to my measurements.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bathroom forum gallery post on my finished 5 x 8 bath

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

Our two upstairs bathrooms are pretty small. Layouts are pretty similar to staceyneil's first pic (but reversed).

We had our vanities made by a local guy; copies of Sonia's Europa vanity (24" wide), but a taller version.

• detroit_burb
    12 years ago

where is your window? try and avoid the bath in the window it is tough to clean that window and can be a mold trap even if it is vinyl. i have one of these baths and the toilet is below the window opposite the bathtub which does not allow for standard clearance in front of the toilet, but it has worked for this house since 1946.

below layout would work with a narrow vanity and plenty of room for narrow storage cabinets if the window is offset. would always use obscured glass in such a small bathroom so window shades are optional:

it is done in open office draw which is open source software.

• David
    12 years ago

Most likely, you will end up with a layout similar to sue_b's, ...

I redid my master bathroom (5' x 8') with a curbless shower design, wall hung toilet, linear drain for a minimalistic look & feel.

Sink at night

The guest bath (also 5' x 8') will have a similar layout, except that it will have a bathtub and have a standard toilet as there is no more room for another in-wall system.

• gmp3
    12 years ago

I think 5 x 8 is a standard size for a bathroom. My current home and last home both had one bath like this. The layout has a 30" vanity by the door then the toilet then a tub/shower on the back wall. In your case, you'll have a window above your tub. Not roomy but perfectly functional.

• essdana
    12 years ago

DavidTay, I have a 4.25 x 8 ft basement bathroom and think your layout would work well. Can you tell me the name and model number of the wall-mounted vanity and toilet and the curbless shower? How much clearance does your shower need and how has it held up?