Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tile experts:Can I find tiles w/shade variation & straight edge?

Posted by Angie_DIY (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 8, 12 at 22:54

I generally post in Kitchens, but someone suggested I tap the tile wisdom that resides in this forum. I am trying to find tile for my backsplash in a vintage-look kitchen. I have come to the conclusion that what I would like is tiles that have substantial color variation (probably V2 or V3), but have well-formed, straight edges. I plan to use colored, 4.25x4.25 tiles.

I have a thread going in the kitchen forum where I am contemplating various characteristics of ceramic tile as it relates to perceived richness. (http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg061311547774.html ) I have come to the conclusion that shade variation is an important factor.

I wish to evoke a vintage look similar to this:

but with tiles that have variegated shading comparable to that found in my bathroom:
Photobucket

However, all the tile I have been able to find so far that has straight edges has NO color variation; alternately, I can find nicely shaded, varied tiles but these all seem to be handmolded with wavy edges. I am hoping one of you can point me towards some likely sources of nicely formed tiles that vary in shade.

Thanks!
A_D

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tile experts:Can I find tiles w/shade variation & straight ed

Try the Walker Zanger Alhambra line. Also Pratt & Larson, the Watercolor glazes and possibly others.

o
RE: Tile experts:Can I find tiles w/shade variation & straight ed

Sonoma tile. The Star line has straighter edges, and is less expensive, than the Stellar line, but has fewer color options.

Pratt & Larson. For hand-crafted tiles, they have amazingly straight edges.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here