Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ideas for replacing tiles

Posted by frank300 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 5, 12 at 22:34

I have an old bathroom with tiles along some walls starting on the bottom of the floor and going about 1/2 way to the ceiling. They need to be replaced.

One contractor suggested new sheetrock and put in new tiles. I can also just have the walls painted once the new sheetrock is put in and not put in tiles. Wainscoting and paneling were also suggested as ideas to go over the tiles and no need to redo the sheetrock.

I already have 4 options. Please let me know what you think is best as well as other ideas you may have.

Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ideas for replacing tiles

Dry area, eh? At first I missed that. What's best is what you like. I'd probably rip out the tile (and wall behind it), then drywall and paint.

Note that if you do decide to retile, you should save some money on the drywall part since it doesn't need "paint-ready" finishing.

o
RE: Ideas for replacing tiles

It's really a matter of personal taste. All of those things are suitable options. What do you prefer?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here