Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What style sconces would you be looking at?

Posted by crl_ (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 2, 13 at 22:31

We are remodeling our master bathroom. I am hoping to achieve a look that is consistent with the house--a 1926 French Revival. I am not going for period perfect though.

We are using white subway tile with a grey liner, grey linoleum flooring, a soapstone countertop on a white vanity, a white cast iron bathtub and chrome fixtures.

What style of bathroom sconces would you be looking at for each side of the mirror above the vanity? When I google, no clear trend appears and I'm just not sure what might be consistent with the overall look.

Thank you for any help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What style sconces would you be looking at?

Is the bath more 1927 than French?

Are there any Deco influences in the rest of the house or architecture?

I think anything with a Deco slant, particularly a French Deco slant would be appropriate.

o

That all sounds really pretty. I think polished nickel finish looks great in houses from the 20s and 30s. The Restoration Hardware Bistro style would probably work, or the Chatham.

You could also try Rejuvenation. The Vernonia or Echo sconces are cool.

o

Thank you. I am sorry I lost track of this post!

The bath in its current incarnation is 1938 (it's in an addition) remuddled.

The interior of the house as a whole is almost more Moroccan in feel than French even though the exterior is French Revival.

With chrome fixtures in a small bath, I was thinking the scones should also be chrome?

I will look for French Deco and see what that looks like and also check the RH and Rejuvenation suggestions.

Thank you again!

o

For reference Rejuvenation's Kent looks exactly like what is in the kitchen--appears to be an original fixture.

What about something like the Fields? Is that in sync with the overall style of the bathroom/house?

http://www.rejuvenation.com/catalog/products/fields

Here is a link that might be useful: Rejuvenation Fields sconce

o

Looking around the house at various fixtures that appear original, I'd say the lighting is a mix, but more colonial revival feeling than anything. Perhaps what was available locally at the time? There is no intact bathroom.

What about something like these from Lamps Plus?

http://www.lampsplus.com/products/tafalla-collection-10-and-one-half-inch-high-wall-sconce__h8917.html#read-reviews-tab

Here is a link that might be useful: Sconces from Lamps Plus

o

What about one of Rejuvenation's Streamline fixtures? Haines is very similar to your kitchen fixture, Adrian is appropriate, and Selma is really wonderful! If the fixtures don't go on the tile, you could have use one of them in white.

Or you could go with Kent with the Streamline clamshell shade.

Here is a link that might be useful: Selma from Rejuvenation

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here