Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plumberry_gw

do you have a rug in your guest bath

plumberry
9 years ago

I thought we'd need a rug in front of the sink but the door (close to the vanity) does not close gets caught in the rug.
what would you do? no rug or is there something else that is thin to look for?

Comments (14)

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Get a thinner rug or cut off the bottom of the door. You need air circulation under the closed door when the exhaust fan is running. Of course you need a rug under the sink. Water just happens there, and your feet need padding while you are standing there.

-Babka

• Olychick
    9 years ago

I have the same problem, but I run the edge up the front of the toe kick a bit to get it out of the way of the door. Maybe that will work for you?

• jrueter
    9 years ago

Yes, I think you should have something on the floor in the guest bath if it is a full bath and guests will be showering/bathing. What about a bath mat, which is essentially a sturdy towel sized and bound for use on the floor? They come in all kinds of colors and styles.

However, if it is just a powder room I don't think it is necessary. I don't have anything on the floor in my powder room and it is fine. But there is less water used, and less time spent in there.

Here is a link that might be useful: just one option from ikea

• lisadlu
    9 years ago

I don't have rugs on the floor in the bathrooms. I have a bathmat in the guest and master bathrooms that hang on the back of the door on a towel bar, but when finished showering they go back up on the towel bar. I like the floor clear.

• HouseRemod
    9 years ago

Every time you flush a toilet, human fecal bacteria goes everywhere. It's rather hard to sanitize a rug. Why not get some nice flooring instead. Something you can actually clean.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

HouseRemod, holy crap! Everywhere? Like on my toothbrush that sits on the counter in its little cup? I should be dead by now. :p

• jaynes123_gw
    9 years ago

Not holy, only airborne - just look up toothbrush and aerosol effect.

There are flat weave mats - I would avoid one without a rigid back corners can curl and still get caught/ flipped by the door.

• ElseHjort
    9 years ago

I have 3 bathrooms, and in none of them do I use rugs. Firstly they assembles too much bacteria and thats too unhygienic. If you are even considering a carpet, use a rug made âÂÂâÂÂof stone, they are both comfortable to walk on, and offers a god massage.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stone Rug

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Are we talking rugs or some form of bathmat? Bathmats are washable, as washable as towels that we use to dry our hands. Don't those towels also contain bacteria from the fecal spray?

• TSG1104
    9 years ago

I have two bath mats in my guest bath. One in front of the tub and one in front of the sink. I would agree that if your doors will not open and close over a mat, then I would consider cutting off some of the bottom of the door. If you keep this door closed most of the time, it will improve air circulation as mentioned above.

In the master bath because I didn't want to cover up the tile pattern in front of the tub by leaving a mat on the floor all the time, I use a mat like you find in a hotel that is towel material. It hangs on the side of the tub when not in use and gets washed with the towels once a week. They are thinner than most bath mats so that might be another option.

As far as fecal matter from flushing the toilets, we close the lid before flushing and bath mats are washable. We originally started closing them when we got our first cat and now it is habit. It only takes a second and l realized I much prefer how it looks when you walk into the bathroom.

• mayflower1032
    9 years ago

guess I am immune to all these germs

• Bunny
    9 years ago

mayflower, same here. I do wash my hands after visiting the germ chamber and that seems to be working.

TSG, seat lids down at my house too thanks to the cats. I agree that it looks way better.

• tracie.erin
    9 years ago

I always close the lid before flushing, too. The aerosol effect grosses me out. I'm sure DH doesn't, though.

Nthing a washable bath mat over an actual rug.

• juddgirl2
    9 years ago

I use a bath mat that looks like a small, thick towel. It gets changed out a few times a week and is draped over the side of the tub when not in use. Just travertine tile floors in front of the sink - no rug.