Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nycbluedevil

Pics of my new bathrooms

nycbluedevil
12 years ago

These pictures are admittedly not very good and considering that the bathrooms are only 5 feet wide, it is really hard to get good pix but I did my best. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and the advice you gave me without even knowing it, since I just lurked here for such a long time.

I hope the posting works. I tried to follow the directions!

http://s1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa438/nycbluedevil/

Comments (33)

• dedtired
    12 years ago

wow! gorgeous. a lot of style in a smallish space.

Here is a link that might be useful: nycbluedevil's pics

• michoumonster
    12 years ago

wow! very sophisticated! i love your tile. is it marble?

• nycbluedevil
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone for the kinds words. Yes, it is marble (botticino fiorito)..It is really hard to see the whole rooms because they are so skinny. But they are really long--at least my Manhattan standards--the master bath is 17.5 feet and the hall bath is 14.4 feet. The master bath is the one with the double vanity and stall shower. The hall bath is the one with the tub/shower. I actually used the Kohler Greek tub--I took a bit of a flyer on that one because I could never find it to sit in. I wanted a really deep tub but needed it to be shorter than normal and to have a straight back because I was installing it with the short side facing out. Moving the tub to the back of the room and putting it on a step squared off what was a tunnel-like room. So we are really pleased from a design point of view.

In case anyone is interested, here is a list of materials

Vanities and vanity tower--rift white oak in dark walnut stain
    Toilets--Toto Soiree with washlet in master; Ultramax in hall
    Faucets--Harrington Brass (Carlyle curved) in master; Jado New Haven in hall
    Showerheads, handshowers and sprays--hansgrohe
    Sconces--ginger Kubic
    Sinks--Kohler verticyl in master; Toto Legato in hall

• Mick Mick
    12 years ago

Very nice! Classy!

• kimran
    12 years ago

Beautiful, classic look! I love your tile, too. The whole design really utilized your space nicely.

• Olychick
    12 years ago

It looks so luxurious and refined in a very aesthetically pleasing way. What I might imagine in a Manhattan residence - only better than what I COULD have imagined. You must be very pleased.

• abd1
    12 years ago

I love the color scheme, it is very sophisticated and soothing. It looks like you really maximized the space too. Great job.

• gr8daygw
    12 years ago

Beautiful! I love your choices on everything. Very fresh and clean. Classy!

• desertsteph
    12 years ago

very lovely! it is so soothing to the eyes - should be to all of one's being!

keeping it so neutral will allow you to change out the color of any towels or accessories anytime you decide you need a change also.

I think keeping it all in that tone makes it just flow so nicely. I like the use of the larger tiles too.

What a change this all must be - bet you are just enjoying the heck out of both of them! I sure would be.

• skeetie219
    12 years ago

Beautiful!Well done

• miniscule
    12 years ago

Great job, very serene and sophisticated. Love the colours and materials.

• nycbluedevil
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Bonnie

I moved this up for you. You need to scroll down to see the tub.

• gr8daygw
    12 years ago

What a beautiful, thoughtful bathroom. I love it all. I really like your round sinks, the vanity and your marble. Great job!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

nycbluedevil, what are the dimensions of those rooms? I know you said 5 ft wide, but how long? A friend just bought a place that has a long skinny master bath and your shower solution looks like it might work just great for her.

• nycbluedevil
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The master bath is 17.5 feet long (that includes a three foot entryway which really only represents the door swing). The hall bath is 14 feet long.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

Thanks!

• nycbluedevil
    Original Author
    12 years ago

bump for Spice 88

• dawnpfister
    12 years ago

Love it! What is the edge on your marble called? Not quite ogee.

• orcasgramma
    12 years ago

I am very intrigued by your tub. Now that you have had it for a while, are you happy with it? Is it comfortable? My DH and I are confirmed shower users but need a small tub in the guest bath for visiting family and friends. Would you recommend the Kohler Greek tub for that purpose?

Thank you

• nycbluedevil
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We like it very much and it is very comfortable for me and my kids. We also use it as a shower (no curtain or door--with the rain head, the water does not come out much). This tub is really deep but the step in front and the grab bar make getting in and out much, much easier. Are you going to use this as a shower?

• nycbluedevil
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Dawnpfister--I think the master bath edge is a small ogee. The edge in the other bath is just an eased edge.

• spice88
    12 years ago

NYCbluedevil,

Thanks so much, I finally found your post and photos! Your bathrooms are lovely! Why did you decide to install Kohler Greek tub with the short side facing out? The tub comes with a grab bar? We're trying to figure out our master bath remodel, with no remodel experience, so pls excuse my questions. Thanks!

• nycbluedevil
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Spice88,

Thanks. We are really happy with them. The pics don't do them justice at all and the marble is a light beige, not the pinkish color that shows up in the pics.

Our hall bath is very narrow--it's only five feet wide. The tub used to be along the long wall where the toilet is now. I was determined to move the tub to the back of the room (where the toilet used to be) to widen the room visually. The only problem was that we had a chimney stack at the back of the room that narrowed the space to only 38". So if I was going to install the tub at the back, I had to do it with the short side out (the bath is 32" wide). That is actually what brought me to the Kohler Greek because the short side of a tub almost always has a slope. I needed something with a straight, rather than a sloped side so that when you step in you don't slip. The four foot length was an extra bonus because it gave me more space in the room.

However, even with the straight side, I was concerned about stepping in and out over such a high edge so I decided to install a grab bar. I put it high enough so that it is used for stepping in an out (remember that we are using this as a shower too) and not for lifting oneself out of the tub. I bought the grab bar separately. It is a Smedbo. I matched the style with the rest of the bling in the bathroom.

• spice88
    12 years ago

NYCbluedevil,

Thanks much for the info, so there's built-in armrests but no lumbar support since all the sides are straight? Is it comfy with no back support? What size water heater do you have? I'm wondering if our tank water heater will be able to handle heating all that water. Love your bath vanity cabinets too, did you buy those online or you had them custom-made?

• nycbluedevil
    Original Author
    12 years ago

There are built-in armrests. The back slopes just a very little bit I think. The front, where the drain is located, is virtually upright. The tub is very comfortable. It also comes with a bath pillow which is actually pretty nice.

We live in an apartment, so we don't have our own water heater. We have unlimited hot water!! Still, I believe that the amount of water required for the tub is about the same as for some other regular sized tubs. The shorter length makes up for it even though the tub is deeper. Look at the specs for a bunch of different Kohler tubs. They should say how many gallons are required to fill.

The cabinets were custom made, since I needed every inch of space. They are rift white oak stained in a dark walnut. As I have noted in my previous postings, one of the best decisions I made with the vanity in the master bath was to have two hampers--one for darks and one for lights, so I don't have to separate laundry anymore!

Hope this helps.

• spice88
    12 years ago

Thanks so much!!!

• elphaba_gw
    11 years ago

you said: "This tub is really deep but the step in front and the grab bar make getting in and out much, much easier. Are you going to use this as a shower?"

I would hope we could use this as a shower but we don't have room to add a step. Was wondering your opinion about using it regularly as a shower without a step? We are not young (65) but still very agile and this won't be our primary shower - but wanted to keep it as functional as possible - this would be in our master bath. (very large shower in the hall bath - but no tub there).

• nycbluedevil
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Elphaba

We did the step mostly to reduce the visual depth of the tub from the side. I think that getting in without a step would be fine as long as you have a grab bar. My teenage girls use this every day as a shower and it is totally fine. And the rain head reduces water on the floor so we didn't need a door or curtain.

You didn't say what tub you are getting. This is the Kohler Greek tub. It does not have an integral flange so we had to add a beading around the edge to make sure that any water flows back into the tub and not back into the walls.

Hope this helps.

• susanlynn2012
    11 years ago

Love your new bathrooms that are so peaceful, elegant, beautiful and use your space well. Thank you for sharing.

• nycbluedevil
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Lynn. I have lived with them now for the better part of a year, and I have to say, I would not change anything (except that I need to finish off by adding some bamboo stalks and a bit more white).

Elphaba--one other thing. If you make the deck in front a couple of inches longer (say at least 6") you could use it to sit and swing your legs over if stepping over the top gets too hard.

• nycbluedevil
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bumping this for balaski 123

• Amy Sedano
    2 years ago

Hi! Can you repost the photos? The link seems to be broken after all these years! Thanks!

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz