Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
asharding

Why is this slab 4x the price!?

asharding Harding
10 years ago

We're doing a master bath remodel and the fabricator gave us a price of around $2,700.00 for the tub deck, surround and countertops. This is using their lower cost granite, such as Absolute Black.

I decided we would like to use Ocean Blue which I was able to view in Dallas at Arizona Tile.

When I asked the fabricator about this, they said the price would go up over $10,000.00.

We're about a six hour drive away from the Arizona Tile warehouse. Is the material cost plus transportation reasonable at $7,500 additional?

From what I gather, Ocean Blue is a higher end slab but not by any means the most expense. What gives?

Comments (10)

• lillo
    10 years ago

Do you know what is the categorie of that slab ? Is it granite or marble ? I know that when you go by the end of the alphabet the price rises and it means that it is a rarer stone . X, Y, Z are very expensive .there is a big difference between Carrara and Calcutta marble . Calcutta is 50% more than Carrara . I think it depends on the rarity of the stone and where it comes from .
    They defenetly charge you a lot too for this 12 hours trip to deliver the slab . You can ask for a price break down to see the $ 10000 covers what ?
    Good luck

• lillo
    10 years ago

I found the slab that you like online , and they advertise that you can get it in 30 days . You can check on the price . Here is the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://thestonegallery.com/page/3

• asharding Harding
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Aloha Lillo, Ocean Blue is a Travertine from Italy. I'm not sure of the category as Arizona Tile wouldn't say. Thanks for the link as well!

• shanghaimom
    10 years ago

I would think that the striped Ocean Blue will probably require additional material to be able to match up seams, etc. vs. the uniform color of the Ab Black.

Maybe this is one part of the additional cost?

It is a VERY beautiful stone!

• azmom
    10 years ago

Do you have different stone yards near by other than Arizona Tile? Their stores here over charge and under delivery.

I would ask the fabricator to separte material and labor cost, such as number of slabs are needed for the job, cost for each slab, and the labor cost.

You can compare his material cost with the trade price from stone yards. May be find more than one reputable fabricators for price comparison.

Ocean Blue is a travertine, fairly common, it is not an exotic slab. It stains and etches, you may want to find out if it changes color after being sealed.

• asharding Harding
    Original Author
    10 years ago

azmom, Our local stone yard doesn't carry any veined travertines. I went to Dallas to go see slabs. I didn't find others who carry Ocean Blue. Ann Sacks carries something called Palladium which looks similar.

• asharding Harding
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well the stone gallery was out of stock on Ocean Blue and didn't have any on order. They did have a siver veined travertine for $800.00 per slab 105x60 which seemed very reasonable. However, he said shipping from LA would cost more than the slab. So I'm still stuck without a slab.

Any other ideas?

• azmom
    10 years ago

When we were searching for counter top for our hall bath,we found a Ocean Blue remnant slab, but it was too short. During the searching for a bigger slab, we found similar slabs in every stone yard in our area.

Later we decided to use quartzite instead to avoid the cost of matching stripes and for easier maintenance.

Not sure if you want to take another trip to Dallas - Did you see a posting in the Kitchen forum about Dallas - For worth stone yards?

Here is a link that might be useful: Dallas-Fort Worth stone yards ???

This post was edited by azmom on Fri, Jun 14, 13 at 9:31

• asharding Harding
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the link! My fabricator said that the Ocean Blue is around $1,900.00 per slab. Silver Travertine is around $975.00 a slab. So I'm going to look at Silver Travertine. Any suggestions for other less expensive Veined slabs?

• asharding Harding
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well we finally found a fabricator who could actually order us the 2cm slabs for around $2,200.00 each plus $250.00 for freight. Ocean Blue is supposed to be a category 3?

The fabricator is going to charge between $2,500.00 - $3,000.00 for labor, depending upon the # of cuts/pieces we can get out of the two slabs. So total cost around $7,200.00.

This whole thing with slabs and pricing and the categories, makes it seem like a lot of smoke and mirrors.