Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
akkw

Please help me do something with this UNIQUE bathroom....

akkw
16 years ago

Hi! I usually post on the Buying and Selling forum but now that we have finally bought a house in the new location we're relocating to, I need some help with the master bathroom. This is a house built 16 years ago, somewhat of a contemporary style, which is in a very nice subdivision and is very well built but is in need of some all-around updating. In particular, this bathroom is where I would love to get some input! I'm pretty good at visualizing and I love to do this kind of thing, so I can't wait to start, but since we don't move in for another four weeks I'm at the planning and thinking stage.

Here are pics. As you can see, there is a partial wall of glass cubes that separates the shower area from the toilet/sink/vanity area. The sellers put in a new vanity and granite top with fixtures, so I'm going to leave that, but my main question is how to tie it all together. The extensive tile work and the glass wall thing is great and I really do kind of like it, but the blue in the tiles is kind of dated in a way, especially with the blue and mauve wallpaper (very pale, hard to see in pics, and it's coming off!). Oh yeah, and the window treatment is coming off too.

Mainly I'd love ideas on decorating and in particular, paint colors (walls) which will tie the tile work in with the granite top vanity (granite is black with some brown tones). The floor is some older linoleum (I think it's actual linoleum; it's not vinyl) and it's going to go at some point too. I'm not going to tear out the tile or glass blocks so I need to work with it. I'd love to hear opinions...

Thank you in advance!

{{gwi:1452626}}

{{gwi:1452633}}

{{gwi:1452638}}

{{gwi:1452643}}

{{gwi:1452649}}

Comments (12)

• kitchenkelly
    16 years ago

I think it is hard to visualize because there is so much going on. You need to take down that shade (soon.) If you also remove the wallpaper, curtain on the door and light fixture you will probably start to get ideas. I think there is alot going on with the tile (but I think it is fun. I like the glass block too.) Play down the blue if you don't like it. I would stay neutral with the paint. Pull a color from one of the tiles you do like.

• kitchenkelly
    16 years ago

BTW, if you don't get alot of responses you should post on the home decorating forum. Lots of talented folks there.

• akkw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the input! The window treatment is coming down first thing. I'll repost this on the decorating forum... I didn't realize there was one!

• jejvtr
    16 years ago

hmmm my 1st thought was why a french door in a bathroom seems odd -

I think removing the wp, window treatment - and the black electronics would be the easiest least expensive way to update. I wonder if painting the darkest tile may tone things down and pull things together more.

The vanity color is too close to floor color and not really complimentary to the stone - I would paint that perhaps trim color - and remove the uppers which really seem awkward there.

a new light fixture and removing the shiny brass hardware would really provide a good update as well.
    and updating the floor will naturally help - the floor really doesn't seem to go at all

good luck

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    16 years ago

Kind of a mix of styles there. If you can match the wall tile to complete around the tub, that might be nice. Overall, I think it needs a clean, retro-modern look (does that make sense?) to calm down the tile design. I might paint the cabinets satin black,or deep cream; use a lighter neutral cream color that complements the tile on the walls, get rid of the bright brass & go with a more modern light fixture. A simple covering like a shade on the doors & window-- or frost them. No curtains.
    Does anyone know, is it possible to somehow paint those blue and pink tiles?

good luck with it!

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

Came here via your post in Buying and Selling forum...

Picture #2 on the wall with the pink & blue pattern - what is that "blob" thing that looks like either plastic or glass cubes?

I've been shopping for flooring & counter top for the last few months, so things you can get at the local Depot / Lowes are still fresh in my mind. If you did replace the floor, would you try to buy locally or would you mail order? The floor is where I would start before picking a paint color.

Ok, interesting choice of tiles. It reminds me of hotel colors minus the pink & blue. I like the vanity, I might have gone a little darker, but that was popular back then. Not my choice of counter top as it's too dark, you might be able to sell it and get something more complimentary with the money if you change your mind. I have lots of samples from Depot & Lowes, the colors in the tile are still used as accents in a few. Next time you go shopping, pick up samples so that you have them, who knows it may inspire you.

You may have seen me mention the Italia stone we used in the main bathroom on the floor. It's a heavier peel & stick, it would compliment that really well. In the tile there is a blueish grey, which would make the blue tile look like it belonged more. I would start grabbing flooring samples too so that you know what's out there. This will give you an idea of what you should keep (vanity or counter) and what you can work with. I'm almost positive there was another Italia stone that would compliment the colors of the tile & tie the counter in, then you're left with figuring out what to do with the vanity color. With all of these sites like Craiglists, you have the option to make some cash off of what you don't reuse.

For accessories, if you will use them, to get an idea of what you're into; do you like florals, solids?

• dainaadele
    16 years ago

My first thought was that the bathroom actualy has a lot of potential. It is one of those baths that just by painting the walls that darker tan color in the tiles, woud make a HUGE difference. Then you could use the blue tiles as an accent color. Several decorating magazines that are using that brown and blue combination now. I would ignore the pink tiles completely. Replace all shiny gold in the room and uniform the fixtures, get rid/update the TV system and you could have a realy 'mod/retro' bath. I am afraid that the floor realy would have to go, but I would wait and see what fresh paint does to the room first before making any plans on that or the cabinets. Hopefully the darker tile color is also picked up in the vanity top and everything will begin to fall into place. As for the sink area, my first thoughts would be to get rid of the 2 top cabinets, light and mirror and redo it to a his/hers side by side mirror and light set up.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1452622}}

• akkw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You guys are great. Thank you so much! This is really helpful. I also think the room has a lot of potential and will be really fun to do something with, to make it very different and cool. I don't like the blue and pink tiles but had never thought of the option of painting them - I'll have to check further into that. If not, though, I think the darker tan/taupe wall color suggestion, and possibly painting the vanity, are great ideas. Also thank you roselvr for the floor suggestions. I haven't done floors in a long time (except wood floors) so I'll need to start from scratch there, as far as learning what the options are and what is available.

As to what the clear wall thing is in the second picture, I was hoping no one would ask because I'm embarrassed to say I can't remember! We saw the house four times, the last time spending about two hours there taking measurements, checking everything in detail etc. and still for some reason I can't remember that thing being there at all. (We are relocating several states away and had a five day househunting trip, of which this house was about number 150 that we saw, on day 4). We were really focusing on the tiles so maybe that's the reason... or maybe the house is haunted, LOL.

It's a 5000 square foot huge house and we bought it empty and the first two times in it, I actually kept getting lost because of all the empty rooms that looked more or less the same with no furniture. Frightening.

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

Also thank you roselvr for the floor suggestions. I haven't done floors in a long time (except wood floors) so I'll need to start from scratch there, as far as learning what the options are and what is available.

After making the mistake of painting walls before doing the floor, I learned my lesson and had to repaint.

The more I look at the bathroom I like it. I don't mind the pink or blue and would work with either, depending on which color is more in style. I do love the brown / blue decorating, but also like the brown / pink decorating, but who knows, neither may go with the floor you pick out.

btw, love that light fixture in the decorating post! Looks perfect for this bathroom

• syllabus
    16 years ago

My first reaction to the pics was of a beach. You have great potential to create a calm oasis here! I'm not into "theme rooms", but the feel of sand & water is in the tile colors.
    Remove those awkward wall cabinets. Switch all hardware (faucets, pulls, lights) to chrome or brushed nickel. Paint the walls one or two shades lighter than either the brown or the blue tile. The pink blends right into the "sandy" feel. Do NOT paint the vanity until you have made all other changes & feel for sure whether or not painting it is needed! The original pale wood is perfect for a seaside feeling.

• beth35
    16 years ago

I studied the clear looking thing on the wall for awhile trying to figure out what it was and decided it was a mirror. Maybe?
    I like the tile (except for the blue and pink) and the french doors and love the glass blocks. Have fun with your 'opportunity'!

• arlinek
    16 years ago

That "blobby" thing is a mirror reflecting the glass blocks on the interior of the shower. I'm amazed as that would typically not be allowed to code - that's pretty dangerous to have within a shower, if I'm correct.