Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any recs for a stylish, very well-made shower drain?

Posted by threeapples (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 8, 12 at 20:58

my tile guy is suggesting a brand, I can't remember what it's called, but it looks sort of cheap. What have you all been using? thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any recs for a stylish, very well-made shower drain?

Don't know the brands, but do know to put the drain along the edge rather than in the middle where your feet will stand uncomfortably atop it. Or better yet, a trench drain.

o

My plumber bought a drain that I'm sure was great -- but the drain cover was a yucky color that didn't match anything in my new bathroom. I had it powder coated to match my matte black faucets. yay! problem solved. You can also get things electroplated if you're trying to match a metal. Now that I think about it, I should have painted it to match my light tile instead.

o

Trench drains are in.

They should have been in years ago. The center drain, although easy to install, puts the yuck right under your feet.

o

I sought out this one because it was easy to remove the cover to take out hair. I have the brushed nickel and am very happy with how it looks. My tile setter appreciated that it was square, since I had small mosaic tile on the floor.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ebbe drains

o

We have the same drain cover as olychick. I like the looks of it and it does collect the hair for easy removal.

o

thanks, i was thinking of the ebbe drain as well. but, i have been looking into trench drains and am curious about those.
any comments on trench drains? thanks!

o

A trench drain under the shower door (rather than a threshold to step over), with the shower floor and the rest of the bathroom floor both both slightly sloped towards the drain, makes it easy to clean the rest of the bathroom floor with a wet mop and/or water spray since everything will flow into the into the same drain. And there's no risk of a plumbing problem flooding your bathroom or your house with that arrangement. I suppose putting the trench drain behind the shower would allow the same thing, but I like the shower floor to be sequestered.

Although a small tile-sized drain could work the same way I suppose if you go with a non-threshold shower setup.

o

I am using the ebbe drain as well. The was helpful over the phone. I ended up ordering the drain and the entire head and my plumbers found it easy to install.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here