Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about shower niche for subway tiled bathroom

Posted by Ruth_123 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 11, 12 at 20:51

Hi there,

I am very new to this bathroom business, so please forgive me if this is a silly question!

I am considering what would be the best type of shower niche to use in two children's bathrooms which will be tiled with white subway tile. I live in an area of high humidity and have a strong hatred of black mould in grout!

I just love love LOVE kgwlisa's shower niche! But I am not sure that the grout would resist the black mould ... :-( Unless anyone has any bright ideas...?!

I recently ordered a ceramic shower niche. I must admit that these are not my favourite things in the entire world (!), but I was pleasantly surprised by this in "real". Very nice quality and a perfect match for my subway tiles. Not at too motel-like! :-)

I have a question about installation! The vendor says that a hole is to be cut in the backer board after tiling, grouting & sealing and the niche is to be simply SILICONED in. The hole itself is not waterproofed in any way. I am concerned about leakage over time....

Does anyone have any experience of this?

I think that I would take black mould in grout over leakage...?!! :-)

All advice gratefully received!

Ruth

Here is a link that might be useful: Ceramic niche installation instructions

Follow-Up Postings:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here