Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best or easiest way to remove paint from bathtub

Posted by clueless1959 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 25, 12 at 20:44

I just purchased a home one of the tubs apparently has been painted with the wrong kind of paint. The paint was coming off as I was cleaning with vinegar an a rag.

It's white paint on a bone colored porcilin steel tub the tub was originally a bone color. I'd like to remove the paint see what is under the white paint. If it is just the bone colored tub I can live with that easier than I can this paint that is already coming off in places. Even tho the toliet an sink are white.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best or easiest way to remove paint from bathtub

Ironically, your happenstance with the vinegar is one of your best bets. Try heating it up and it should remove it faster. It is often used to clean paint brushes after paint has dried onto them. I'd personally bring the vinegar to HOT in a tea kettle or the like, lay down a bunch of old towels in the bathtub and then soak the towels with the hot vinegar. Let it sit for a while, remove the rags and then use a scouring pad. No clue how much of the paint it will remove, but if just scrubbing with a rag was getting paint off, I'd think this would get most all of it off.

o

Vinegar did not take off much of the paint, tried KOOF OFF it is not taking all of it off either Just around the rim of tub.

Next step paint stripper? If so what kind?

o

What kind of paint?

The typical tub paint is epoxy based, and methyl ethyl ketone (MEK) is the chemical that removes it.

It is a rather nasty solvent.

It does not dissolve the paint (like sugar dissolves in water) but chemical breaks it down.

There is NO actual solvent for cured epoxy.

o

I have no idea what kind of paint was used apparently it was not mixed well parts of the paint comes off very easy other parts I need a hammer an chisel I think LOL

I've been using a razor scrapper an it's very slow goin now that I seem to have most of the easy stuff off.

All the paint is off the outside of tub an around the rim an about 1/4 of the way down the sides. I'll tackle it again tommorrow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here