Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do you have a favorite solid-surface shower base?

Posted by LARemodel (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 26, 14 at 20:37

I am considering a solid-surface shower base for my master bath remodel. The existing shower 30"x60" and has 2"x2" unglazed ceramic tile. Bathroom is on 2nd floor. It will be a compete gut, so I can adjust layout to dimensions of shower base.

I'm finding a lot of options for solid-surface shower bases. What are the pros and cons of Kohler's enameled cast-iron vs MTI acrylic? Fleurco Urbana composite with seat vs WetStyle's natural stone composite shower receptor?

If I decide, instead, to go with a curbless, linear-drain, tiled shower floor, will that be a lot more expensive?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do you have a favorite solid-surface shower base?

Kohler's cast iron shower receptors are great. Solid, well made, and they look really nice, too. If you do a search on this forum, you'll find at least a few threads enumerating the pros of using one. We have one in our guest bathroom. We dodged a bullet when I insisted we return the acrylic one we'd originally ordered. It was supposed to be fiberglass, but it wasn't. It didn't have no-slip grips, which was a deal breaker, as the surface would certainly be slicker then slick when wet. The cast iron receptor will surely continue to look great , and hold up well for many, many years.

o

LARemodel:

Check out the link, please:

Here is a link that might be useful: Grifform

o

Those GRIF form bases look really cool! I like our Corian counters in the kitchen, I think Corian would be an excellent choice for a shower base.

We installed a Swanstone base in our shower about 3 years ago. It has been very easy to maintain, but I guess I can't speak to long-term durability. The shower is used every day, currently by 4 people while we remodel the other bathroom. I'd say it still looks as nice, today, as it did when we installed it. I like the raised non-slips more than etched (our new Kohler Villager cast iron tub in the other bathroom has etched nonslips and they feel like chalkboard to me -- I'll probably stick the bathtub mat over them when the remodel is done).

I'd go with Swanstone again if I had to make the choice. We also have the Swanstone solid surface shower niche, and that is a piece of cake to maintain.

o

I am extremely sensitive to textures with regards to touch. The Kohler etched surface is no problem for me. I love my cast iron tub and my shower pan. I know many love their solid surface too, I don't think you'd go wrong either way.

o

I've used both Swanstone and Onyx shower bases and was happy with both. No cleaning issues or slipping issues with either.

o

I would HIGHLY recommend the Onyx Collection shower pans. Made in the USA and the customer service is incredible! You cant go wrong.

Here is a link that might be useful: Onyx Shower pan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here