Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
1950s Bathroom Face Lift

Posted by twpearson (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 25, 12 at 20:32

Hello, first time poster, long time reader. Looking for some input on some color ideas for our 1950s bathroom. We've updated the floor as you can see in the picture. Went with Congoleum's Duraceramic, Earthpath: Smokey Clay vinyl tiles. We'd like to give the walls a new color, as right now it's just the off white that matches the off white tile. Would like the paint color to match or work well with a new color on the vanity. We're going to sand it down and give it a fresh coat as well, and add new hardward to the vanity. We would also like to change up the light fixture you see on the wall. There is an identical one on the opposite side. So if anyone has any ideas of a color for the wall, a different color for the vanity, and a new light fixture idea, I would love to hear it. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 1950s Bathroom Face Lift

Your picture rotated right side up.

Do you prefer to stay with light,neutral colors or are you looking for something darker? You could paint the vanity espresso and use shiny chrome hardware or repaint a fresh off-white and use oil-rubbed bronze or satin nickel hardware.

It depends on your preference. My powder room has travertine floors, BM Baby Turtle walls, a mahogany vanity and ORB fixtures. Very warm and cozy.

My guest bath has travertine floors, shiny chrome fixtures and hardware, a cherry type stained vanity, white subway tiled shower, and pale BM Old Prairie walls. It's very bright and spa like, but the stained vanity and ivory floors offer some warmth. Both are very different looks.

Pottery Barn has some nice light fixtures - I just installed the Sussex tube sconces and they're very pretty.

Paint and new floors alone can make a big difference but a new faucet is another low cost fix that will have an impact. You could also frame your large mirror with wood to match the vanity. If you search the web, you'll find DIY instructions.

Good luck!

o
RE: 1950s Bathroom Face Lift

While this is a kitchen rather than a bath, I think the color scheme would work well with your existing aqua stripe in the tile. The walls are SW Sea Salt and the island is SW rain washed, which I think would be nice for the vanity if you want a color, kind of spa-ish. A grey or a darker gel stain would also work.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aqua and white kitchen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here