Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can you install Daltile corner shelf after the fact?

Posted by Mom23Es (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 14, 12 at 20:28

The builder's tile shop quoted us $90 per shelf. The shelves are sold at HD for $23. We would like two of these for each of our three secondary bathrooms. If we can just buy the shelves ourselves and stick them up over top of the 6x6" tiles, it would really save us a lot of money.

I thought I read that it could be done, but then one of the reviewers on HD states that you have to cut away the tile. I'd love to get some clarification on this. Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Daltile corner shelf sold at HD

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can you install Daltile corner shelf after the fact?

I think if you go on youtube, there is a video that shows how to install with some kind of epoxy right on the tile.

o

It needs to be installed on top of the cement board--NOT on top of the tile-- with thinset and the tiles will be cut around it and help to lock it in place.

o

If it's the You-tube guy I'm thinking of, the guy's a hack. Several of us from "across the way" have posted comments to several of his videos stating where hs methods directly contradict industry standards, and all he does is delete our comments. As for gluing to the face of the tile, I'd be very suspect at the prospect of this lasting more than a few months at best, and that's ONLY IF the corner is perfectly square. Better to bite the bullet and do it right.

o

Our tile guy just installed some in our bathroom today and they are set into the tile. While it may be tempting to glue them directly onto the tile this is not the way they are intended to be set.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here