Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WWYD - Corian Shower Seat

Posted by barbcollins (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 22, 12 at 20:24

I am working on our lastest bathroom and we have decided to include a shower seat. (See my previous post)
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/bath/msg0316035831525.html

I have finished up my drywall and the ceiling is painted. Hope to start tiling next weekend.

DH has a friend with a cabinet shop, and he had the cut a piece of Corian for the shower seat. We agreed it should be a light color because matching the tile would be impossible.

He brought the piece home last week and I laid one of tile on top and thought it was a great choice. You can also see the mosaics peeking in the top left of the picture. I will be using those as accents strips.

IMG_20120609_115557

But.... then I turned it over and looked at the back.

IMG_20120609_115531

I thought it was beautiful.

What would you do? Which side do you like better?

This IS NOT a house we are keeping and I have to remind myself that it is not what I like, but what the majority of other people would like. I wonder if the back side is too busy. Or does it look too "fake".

They finished the edges for us expecting to use the other side. Would I be able to ease the unfinished edge with sandpaper?
Would I be able to sand off the "DUPONT" stamp? I hate to have him take it back since they did not charge us for doing it.

Would you go to the trouble, or just use the piece as planned.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WWYD - Corian Shower Seat

I like the first picture better! The second one reminds me of (please don't take this the wrong way) really cheap cultured marble.

In the first picture the color variation looks more natural and calming. At least for me :)

o

I'd use the intended side, in the first photo. The underside is interesting but not beautiful. I think the combinations of the dark tile in the large and small format and the finished surface of the Corian is very nice.

o

If I were going to keep it, I'd want the second side. But if you're going to sell the house within the next few years, bland is better.

o

Thanks everybody,

I agree the first side is probably better for this situation.

Hey Bill, while I have you here.....

Does it matter if the seat is put down first or after the wall tiles are up.

I assume it should go down first but since there will be a little bit over an overhang, it might make cutting the tile on the back wall a little tricky.

Would it hurt anything if I put up the back wall tile first then butt the corian up to it?

o

That's what I did. :-)

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here