Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lexmomof3

grout with sealer - ie. Fusion Pro single component grout

lexmomof3
10 years ago

I'm wondering if grout with a sealer mixed in it is worth the additional cost and does it actually work? I'm not really familiar with the different brands, just the one at the tile store (Fusion Pro). I think it's different than epoxy grout that has to be mixed or is it still an epoxy grout that is already mixed? Anyway, is it worth extra cost and does it work? Thanks!

Comments (30)

• StoneTech
    10 years ago

Fusion Pro needs no sealer. It's pretty new but the reports on it are great. Use it and sin no more...

• elphaba_gw
    10 years ago

Our contractor will be using this in our master bath remodel planned to begin later this month. White subway with WHITE grout.

He is sold on it and he is a careful guy. I'm so excited to expect not to ever have to worry about dirty/moldy grout AND I won't have to worry about the amber/yellow tinge that happens with epoxy over time (I'm told). (I'm really bummed that we couldn't use it in my hall bath that was just refinished - it was just a little too early - seems like this is really a revolutionary product - crossing fingers.)

• scerrir
    10 years ago

Hi guys!

Any updates on how the grout has held up for your reno's so far??

I am in the same boat right now, and I am not sure which to purchase! Because some people say that a regular unsanded grout on the floor is fine! (Bathroom floor - not in the actual shower)...so confused!

Rhea

• elphaba_gw
    10 years ago

Too early. Everything is great but even with traditional grout, I wouldn't expect to see any problems (i.e. mold, etc) for a year at least. We use liquid soap and don't have high traffic in our shower/tub so don't think we will be the first to notice if there are problems. Hope someone else reports if there is. We still have to do backsplash in the kitchen. Will probably use Fusion Pro there also unless I hear something negative.

• Rehab_Addict
    10 years ago

Hello - Brand new to this forum and came here looking for help related to Fusion Pro Bright White. We installed it in our shower last month for a bathroom reno, which I am sad to report that it has completely yellowed and looks awful :(

We put in beautiful bright white 12x24s and the grout totally ruins the entire shower now. Only solution I have seen is a grout colorant which I plan to speak with my contractor about when he comes for final walk-thru tomorrow.

It is worth nothing that we also used FP in Delorean Grey on the floor which came out beautifully -- just beware of FP "bright white" or you may end up regretting it like we do.

• elphaba_gw
    10 years ago

I'm pretty sure that is what has been used in our master bath. I wish you would talk to a company rep on this. They are selling this hard to all the tile guys and putting on seminars, etc. The tile contractors need to know if there is a problem. Who knows, you might get a free "do-over" if they want to try to save their reputation on this.
    But so far, my bright white subway with bright white FP has no problems. Still all bright white but this is not a heavily used bathroom as I mentioned earlier.

• kelly4president
    9 years ago

Hi
    we have recently redone our bathroom using ceramic "wood" tile and charcoal gray fusion pro grout. The look was fantastic, however, in some areas the grout is coming out and wet? Followed directions. The remodel was done in March. The problem is mostly in our shower area. Did we get a bad batch of grout? we used the natural gray on walls with no issues at all.

• jerzeegirl
    9 years ago

I would be worried that something is leaking from below. No matter what kind of grout you use, your grout should not be coming out and wet since you did it two months ago. Can you post a picture?

• divotdiva2
    9 years ago

we installed the FP alabaster white in early May. This was after the contractor installed sanded in our shower floor and then the sealer they used discolored it. We removed it and replaced with FP. We let it cure 2 weeks before using the shower (Custom's tech support advised at least 7 days before allowing it to get wet, although you can safely walk across it sooner) Have used it only about a week so far, but it looks great. Hoping it holds up over time.

Regarding regular grout, one of the tile guys we know with 20+ years of experience said that even after sealing, regular sanded grout may discolor over time and sometimes within months depending on the original color (lighter ones being the worst). He says as the homeowner, you should insist on the epoxy type grouts (or FP if that's what you want).

• StoneTech
    9 years ago

"Home Re Modeler" (Paul) and I used Fusion Pro EXCLUSIVELY on a multi-million dollar home in La Porte, Texas. Trust this....it's the ONLY grout to use if you want it to be permanent, no sealing ever, holds it's colour and is bulletproof. We even mixed colours for some of the 4 bathrooms as the HO is extremely anal, and a nice lady. She wanted to reproduce a "20's" look and got it. What more can I say?

• enduring
    9 years ago

StoneTech, nothin' wrong with mix'n your own grout ;) I have done it with much success on several of my tile surfaces in my 2 bathrooms. I used Laticrete epoxy though. I would have liked trying the new grouts that are premixed, but already had the epoxy.

I mixed my caulk to match too :b Used a ziplock bag to apply. I think you might have given me advise on that GW inquiry a month or so ago.

Just had to get my 2cents in about mixing grouts :)

• PRO
    Cabot & Rowe
    9 years ago

You can buy grout matching silicone and latex caulk in any of over 300 colors from our buds at www.ColorRiteInc.com

• enduring
    9 years ago

So Houston, if I would have mailed them a sample of my Laticrete custom blended grout, they would match it? If so that is a great thing :) Is the quality good like the Laticrete, or is silicone, silicone?

• StoneTech
    9 years ago

Enduring~~Just give them the color (and/or the grout number) and the Manufacturer. Trust this....they HAVE the colour charts and can "custom Mix" the exact colour for you! Paul and I have used them numerous times....and they ALWAYS deliver!

(edit) Not certain if sending them a "sample" of your mixed grout will work or not. They formulate their caulk by Mfg. grout number...and possibly by matching on the sample chart...but I imagine they can custom blend for you. They offer sanded, unsanded and I think matt or smooth. Very helpful people...

This post was edited by StoneTech on Thu, Jun 5, 14 at 13:49

• enduring
    9 years ago

Thanks StoneTech :)

• pandang81
    6 years ago

I know this is a really old post, but I really need to find out (before I put on my kitchen backsplash) if this grout is true to color shown on the example chips...they sell this grout at Home Depot and looking at the chips I like Delorean gray or natural gray but want to make sure they come out like a true medium gray and not too white or too dark. Something like this photo...can someone who has used these two colors in the Fusion Pro please comment? If anyone has photos of these colors of the Fusion Pro on their tile that would be very helpful!?? Thanks!!!

• PRO
    Cabot & Rowe
    6 years ago

Depends on how many people touched the chip before you looked at it. If you really want, contact CBP and have them send you a brand spankin new color chart. Or buy both buckets and take the one back you don't like.

• endbullyingnow
    6 years ago

Hi, My contractor is installing Fushion Pro grout right now and really not liking it. He says it dries so quickly that he has to work extra hard to scrub the grout off the surface of the tiles and ends up taking part of the grout lines out, thereby exposing the edges of the tile. (He's even resorted to scraping the surface of the tile with a scraper to get excess grout off.) He's really hating it and wanting me to go out and buy the regular grout that needs to be mixed with water. I like the idea of the sealant in this grout, particularly because it's going in the shower. Right now he's doing the tub surround and walls. Has anyone had any challenges installing this grout?

• enduring
    6 years ago

Thanks for the help stonetech.

• endbullyingnow
    6 years ago

I will let my contractor know. He's so frustrated that he very much wants me to pick up the old style of grout as soon as the store opens in the morning. I will show him your response. Thank you for responding.

• hcbm
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I'm curious how would you change the type of grout mid job. It would look different and as it ages probably really be different. He needs to slow down and practice on some mock ups. Hope all turns out well.

• PRO
    Cabot & Rowe
    6 years ago

My arms aren't that long. When using Fusion or Flexcolor, I grout about 4 or 5 square feet of tile before starting the cleaning process. This area can be enlarged with much larger tiles, and made smaller with mosaics. If there is low humidity or high temperatures, the area covered is smaller. A helper to clean sponges is a godsend.

• PRO
    Cabot & Rowe
    6 years ago

this video is a little better for the installer

• endbullyingnow
    6 years ago

Wonderful help. I really appreciate it. I don't want to switch material. But I'm not the one doing it. The tub area is in front of a large west facing window. I hope the sunlight will not accentuate a possible colour change, either from differing products or changes over time. The Fushion Pro grout is bright white between white cararra marble-looking porcelain tiles. I've gone to take a look at the grout now that it has started to set. It looks fantastic! I'd like to see him finish the grouting with Fushion Pro.

• hcbm
    6 years ago

You don't want to change materials mid stream and then you shouldn't you are paying for it. If you think your contractor is good I might consider just giving him a little bonus to finish with the same materials, but that is only if he is good and not just a complainer. He did agree to use it in the first place.

• endbullyingnow
    5 years ago

This guy doing the tile is wonderful. He's very good at what he does and he's meticulous. He's actually the contractor's assistant. To his credit, he's doing the job the actual contractor hasn't done, even though he's been paid nearly double for an incomplete job that has taken 4x longer than expected. The contractor has been avoiding me and knows I'm upset. Several people, including Home Depot and Home Hardware, are urging me to contact police because this contractor has been fraudulent. The assistant is maintaining integrity by keeping his word, even when his boss isn't. (And the assistant is the real reason I haven't called police. He doesn't deserve to be roped into this.) So I don't want to annoy this assistant. I'm heading out to Home Depot this morning to get the grout he wants and two more edgers. I've done grout myself before. I'm no professional, but I may just try to use the Fushion Pro myself to finish off this area and allow him to use the regular grout in the other areas of the bathroom.

• Rosemary Freitas
    4 years ago

HA. I just used Fusion Pro for the first time. I didn't read the directions. As i was spreading it, I thought, " what weird stuff" then read the instructions. Do follow the instructions. Make sure you have a dry towel handy to wipe your gloved hands of excess moisture after rinsing the sponge. I would have damp grout sponges lined up so you are not having to rinse. do only 3-4 sq feet at a time. This product is noting like cement grout. It also feels like gritty little crystals in a light weight fluffy cookie dough. Have all your areas masked off. including the floor. Clean all areas well before you call it a day. There is no odor.

• J M
    3 years ago

Hi everyone! Thanks for all the comments! Following up here in hopes to get some reviews on how your Fusion Pro is holding up, specifically in the shower floor/walls! Is it still sturdy and easy to keep clean? We're about to start with our GC who has experience with epoxy grouts, but I'm still nervous! Thanks so much in advance.

• PRO
    Avanti Tile & Stone / Stonetech
    3 years ago

Another similar, great product is Mapai's "Flexcolor CQ." Much like Fusion pro, but a bit easier to use and clean up....