Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Water on the counter--need help with sink and faucet design.

Posted by dibgar (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 16, 11 at 19:46

We are designing a new master bathroom. We thought we wanted an undermount sink with a marble or granite counter top.

I am having second thoughts, however, after staying in several hotels during the past year.

Many of these hotels had attractive counters and sinks; but in each case, the counter tops got wet whenever we reached up with wet hands to turn the faucet handles. I was repeatedly mopping up the little puddles of water that collected on the counters so that nearby objects would not get wet.

Are other people bothered by this problem? What sink and/or faucet design would help us avoid wet counter tops?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Water on the counter--need help with sink and faucet design.

As far as I know, the faucets always get wet when they are on the counter. Do yours at home stay dry somehow? I'm guessing you have drop in sinks that restrict the puddle to the sink lip? I think the only faucets that don't get wet allover are the wall mounted types. Unfortunately most of my sink walls are exterior, and I don't want to run pipes in exterior walls in case of a hard freeze. I wanted them to avoid cleaning the faucets so often!

o

Yes, our current sink is a drop-in with the faucets on the back lip of the sink. It catches water from wet hands so I never noticed the puddles of water. I wanted to get away from the old drop-in look, but apparently I may have to put up with wet counters if we go with an undermount.

I am wondering what happens with a vessel sink. If the faucet stands behind or to the side of the vessel, does water still drip onto the counter whenever you move the handle with wet hands?

o

I put in a vessel sink with wall mount faucets. My issue before remodel was well water that grows mold under caulk around all the faucets that are counter mounted. I wanted a faucet that didn't allow water to collect at its base - thus the wall mount. I love my new faucets and sink. Sometimes there is a little water that collects on the counter (limestone tiles) under the faucet handle from wet hands, but nothing that needs to be wiped up; it truly just looks dampish sometimes.

o

We have gone with a semi-vessel sink. It is not yet installed, so I can't comment 100% on the functionality, I think it will be the best of both worlds. It has some flair, but the faucet is sink-mounted, not deck mounted, and since it is not as "high" as a vessel, it is still practical for my kids to use.

http://www.americanstandard-us.com/bathroom-sinks/morning-above-counter-sink/

o

There are now touch-sensitive Moen bathroom faucets so you can operate them with the back of your wrist.

o

My most favorite purchase EVER! :) One in the kitchen and one in the master bath. I rarely touch the handles in either setting.
I use less water
Less contamination
Less mess
Super convenient (it's like having an extra hand)
No electronics or batteries
For new or remodel installations

Here is a link that might be useful: LOVE My Tapmaster

o

cindaintx, with the touch-sensitive Moen faucet, do you touch the handle or the water spout? Ideally, I would want to touch the spout so that my dripping hands would be over the sink. Also, does it require batteries or other source of power?

monicakm, the Tapmaster looks interesting, but can you also turn on by hand if necessary?. I can envision it in our master bath with two standing adults, but could children use it in the kitchen or hall bath? We are remodeling three bathrooms--our own master bath, the upstairs hall bath for visiting grandchildren and the main floor bath that needs to be handicap accessible (not needed now but we want to age in place.) We are trying to consider all possibilities as we work out the overall plan.

o

Tapmaster is very nice.

It can be set for manual use easily. (Recommended for guests because otherwise they feel stupid.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here