Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chanjul

Bathroom undermount sink falling - how to repair?

chanj
9 years ago

So - my 8+ year old undermount bathroom is finally about to give up. I noticed the other day that one of the clips has fallen off, and the sink is now tilted: there's a visible crack on one side (where it's detached from the counter), and it's being held up by the remaining 3 clips. All the clips seemed to have been glued on to the underside of the counter (no nails used, and I assume it was done in a special way, not with "regular" glue).

I just got a contractor here to take a look, and he suggested:
1. Replace the sink and counter. I should go to home depot to buy both a new sink, and new counter top, where they'll special-glue them together (along with the clips), and my contractor will install the new "set" afterwards;

2. Take my existing counter top + sink to a marble place and see if they can special-glue them together (after doing a proper clean up and all that). And my contractor would help take it off / putting it back on for me;

I'm wondering if someone else has done something similar, and can provide some recommendations? Also, are the above my only options? Has anyone done it with Home Depot that way?

I've heard stories where people have used 3M 5200 to re-glue the sink/clips and they claim it works like magic? Anyone here has experience with that?

Also, can I buy a sink from somewhere else and have Home Depot special glue it to a counter top? Does anyone know if HD does that?

I thought this would be a simple job (put the clip back, apply some new caulk, and voila!), but looks like not!!! Guess should have known by now - nothing is easy when it comes to home ownership!!!

TIA!

Comments (12)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

Five bucks and your troubles are over. I've used these on stainless steel vanity sinks too:

Here is a link that might be useful: HUSH

• catbuilder
    9 years ago

No need to take off the counter. You can epoxy the sink to the counter while it's still in place. Make sure you clean off any silicone.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

"No need to take off the counter. You can epoxy the sink to the counter while it's still in place. Make sure you clean off any silicone."

It's true that counter removal isn't necessary, however, you don't epoxy stainless steel to granite. You can epoxy studs to the granite and clips to the studs to the sink. 100% silicone between the stainless steel sink flange and the bottom of the stone serves as a gasket only, the mechanical fasteners do the work.

• catbuilder
    9 years ago

Somehow I'm missing where it's posted the sink is stainless steel.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

'Somehow I'm missing where it's posted the sink is stainless steel."

catbuilder:

Fair enough, but the rule is the same for any material.

• chanj
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi everyone - sorry for not mentioning this, but the sink is procelain - does it matter?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

"Hi everyone - sorry for not mentioning this, but the sink is procelain - does it matter?"

chanj:

Not if you use the HUSH. The manufacturer's installation instructions show it used with a porcelain sink, but I've used it with stainless steel vanity sinks with no problems.

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

Treb--that looks cool! I'm saving that link for when mine fail (I figure they will eventually). How often do the little screws pull out of the cabinet though? Or, would it be better to reglue/cement the sink AND install a Hulk so they work together? (In other words, should I be installing this on my sinks that I figure will fail someday to try to prevent the inevitable? Or, will that really do any good? Will it warp the cabinets over time?)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

kirkhall:

I've installed at least 30 HUSH's and have yet to get a callback over any issue.

Silicone caulk is a gasket only; all sinks must be mechanically fastened.

The HUSH will not "warp" a cabinet.

• chanj
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The HUSH seems like a great idea - however, my porcelain sink is already installed under the cabinet, and the HUSH looks like would be a challenge to install (we don't want to take apart the bathroom vanity, if we can help it).

So, is there another way to "fix" the "half fallen sink" in place?

Thanks for all the ideas / feedback so far!

• vvesper
    9 years ago

So this is somewhat worrisome. Do undermount sinks often fall? I consider a sink to be a relatively permanent fixture. While I'm not sure I'll be replacing bathroom sinks anytime soon, I was planning on an undermount sink in the kitchen soon, with new stone counters.

If the universal sink harness mentioned above is used - will there sitll come a point when the caulking fails and it has to be taken apart and recaulked and put back together? I've just never experienced that with a drop-in sink.