Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recessing tile into drywall? Tile experts?

Posted by tartanhabit (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 25, 12 at 19:36

Hi all

I'm still having the conundrum with how to finish the tile behind our vanity (we were considering a no paint option in another post).

The issue is that the porcelain tile I want to use does not come in bullnose nor have a finished trim piece so the top view of the tile would look unfinished.

My contractor said that a job he has done was with recessing tile so that it sits just level, flush with the drywall if you get my drift. I think he mentioned applying a thin level of drywall that butts right up next to the tile to make this happen. So it's all flush.

Sounds interesting to me but I have, in my limited experience, never heard of such a thing. Anyone know of this technique? Is it sound? Since we like a modern look it appeals to me for this little area of space behind the vanity.

Any info appreciated. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recessing tile into drywall? Tile experts?

The only thing that concerns me is how thin will the backing behind the tile be? Sheetrock or even cement board at 1/4" thickness will be way too flimsy. However, if he recesses and couple of cleats on the insides of the wall studs, and then uses 1/2" sheetrock, that would work.

o

DH recessed the split face tile behind (over) our vanity. It's not completely flush with the wall, but sticks out much less than it would have. I think he used thinner sheetrock or hardibacker where the tile was going, and regular thickness for the rest?

I can ask him when he comes home.

o

Thanks Bill. Hmm, I thought I did hear him mention 1/4 sheetrock - although I got the impression he was talking about doing that layer of sheetrock over another something else. Bill, I learned so much from you when I was on this site with bathroom/kitchen remodel years ago - lovely that you are still dispensing wisdom!

Cat mom, do you have pics on here somewhere? I frequented this site several years ago during another bathroom & kitchen remodel and if I remember rightly you have a stunning kitchen with vertical glass tiles ... Tell me if my memory is right. I don't recall if I've seen your bathroom.

o

Thank you re: our kitchen! We still love it so!

We do have pictures showing the hall bathroom backsplash, but I'm not sure if you can really see that the tile is recessed somewhat. Maybe. Take a look:

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

I think you can view the rest of the pics by clicking on one of the photos. You might be able to access the MB album/pics as well.

o

That's a very interesting seamless look, thanks Catmom, I like it! Funny, in that first photo I thought that the towel rail was also somehow recessed as I wasn't quite sure what I was looking at then I realized that was a reflection (duh!)

o

It sounds to me like he means that the 1/4" drywall would layer over the layer of drywall or substrate that is attached to the studs and the tile would be layered over its substrate, so that the 1/4" tile and the 1/4" extra layer of drywall would be flush.

o

Palimpsest, that makes sense, thank you for helping me wrap my head around this!

o

LOL tartanhabit! I think recessing the towel bar into that wall might be beyond DH's impressive DIY abilities!

o

I furred out the wall to match the tile surface. If you're talking a large wall, this probably woundn't be a good option.

http://www.billbblog.com/Diy/34/Tile-Shower

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here