Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bright white grout - epoxy?

Posted by lexmomof3 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 19, 13 at 19:23

I was considering using grout from Custom (Fusion Pro) for a shower with subway tile and another shower with Porcelanosa Madison Nacar tile but I'm concerned about the fact that it says not to use it when temps are above 90 degrees. We're in SC so it's hot! Is this true of other grouts? Also, no one locally carries it and the tile guy is setting tile now so I was hoping not to have to order the grout and delay the process. I would like to use the best product for ease of cleaning considering it's white grout and the porcelanosa was pretty expensive. Is epoxy grout the solution? Does it turn yellow? The grout joint on both showers will be 1/16".

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bright white grout - epoxy?

Home Depot is now carrying some version of it here in Houston according to my tile guy.
Also, he says it doesn't turn yellow.
Hadn't hurt about the limit on temps - here in Houston, I'd better check that out. Thanks for posting. I will ask tomorrow.

o

Wouldn't the temp issue be referring to the installation temps? Turn your air conditioning on for that step. The hot water that hits the walls will be hotter than 90 degrees.

Unless I have totally misinterpreted your post :)

o

enduring - this is for new construction so no ac yet. It's quite hot in the house.

o

It has been tested on a "bank of black granite outside in Phoenix, Ariz." He said 150 degrees is the limit. Their "most tested product ever" according to my tile guy who has talked to the inventer. My tile guy also also said that whatever the local Home Depot doesn't carry in the color he wants, he can order it from Home Depot.

o

Thanks lexmomof3. I'm not surprised I miss interpreted your post LOL. Thanks for the help :)

o

The reason for the heat limit (when installing, not using) is because epoxy grout works with a chemical process. The warmer the temps, the faster the grout sets up. In fact, when I grout with epoxy, I divide the batch into thirds and put part in the freezer, pulling out 1/3 at a time. That gives me more overall working time with the batch.

So if it's over 90 degrees, your tile guy may not be able to get the whole batch spread before it hardens.

Can you buy a window a/c unit and run it in your bathroom temporarily while he's grouting?

Epoxy grout doesn't yellow. In fact, it holds its color when wet, unlike regular grout, which darkens when wet and lightens up when it dries.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here