Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hobokenkitchen

Master Bath Also Done! A bit Different...my version of Spa Like!

hobokenkitchen
16 years ago

Here is the master bath which we have also finished. The door way makes it very hard to take pics, so I've taken a few and you can at least get the idea of it!

I know it's very different to most baths on here - but we like it and it's a good contrast to our guest bath which is much lighter. This is my version of 'Spa Like'! I know the darker stone won't be everyone's cup of tea, but we like the overall effect. Any comments welcome - including any ughhhs!

{{gwi:1451060}}
Shot with Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XT at 2007-06-30

{{gwi:1451061}}

{{gwi:1451062}}

Comments (24)

• zeebee
    16 years ago

Very nice! The wood and the stone play off each other well.

If I can ask - what is the dark stone, and what are the dimensions of the room? The style is similar to something we're thinking about for our master bath (shower only, no tub), and I'd love to do a dark slate or soapstone tiled shower.

• budge1
    16 years ago

absolutely gorgeous! I don't see how anyone could not like it. I love how you've tied in the light colour by doing the shower floor light.

Your vanity is to die for.

Can you tell me the colour on the wall please?

• melisande
    16 years ago

I really like the quiet elegance of the tone on tone colors, with the contrasting vanity. Nice job - very inspirational.

• mahatmacat1
    16 years ago

Very beautiful :) I'm glad the shower has worked out for you. Love the contrast of the shower floor tile and the gorgeous wall/outside floor stone. That particular color (the darker stone) just fills me with happiness :)

• hobokenkitchen
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow - thanks! I wasn't sure what the response would be to our dark tile! When we selected the tile it was called Gray Foussana. No-one seemed to have heard of that before. Organicdonna then posted pics of her tile which look identical to mine and it is Limestone.

The shower dimensions are approx 3.5 x 5.5 ft. The whole bathroom is about 9.5 x 5.5ft. A fraction too small for the double sinks I had dreamed about, but fits the extra wide single sink nicely.

Ceilings are 10ft which helps the feeling of spaciousness as does the window which allows for some natural light.

There were definitely some compromises due to the space, but the shower feels huge - any bigger would be too big for us.

Vanity is the British Cane from Restoration Hardware and toilet is the Toto Soiree with Sanagloss (which doesn't work).

• worthy
    16 years ago

Nice merging of the traditional and the modern.

All in a small space.

Looks sharp!

• dianalo
    16 years ago

Now, why would you be shy about this bathroom?
    It is lovely and the floor recedes because it is a darker color, so it is not a problem in a small room at all. Your light counters and walls work with it to provide some nice contrast and zing and keep it light up at eye level.
    You should be proud and not apologetic in the least!
    I also give bonus points for not looking like everyone else's ;)

• ericaa
    16 years ago

Very very nice - Your grey foussana looks very similar to my lagos azul (or blue lagos) limestone, although from your other post (about the sealing etc) I seem to remember it having seams of orangey/rust colour through it?? I got very worried about the sealing process after reading that, but have now sealed my shower floor and after two coats the water beaded up. There are some white spots on the tiles around the drain that I think are from all the testing of the plumbing before I got to it. Oh well. I also chose that toilet. Love it. Will post my pics soon.

• organic_donna
    16 years ago

I love it! Could you post a larger picture of your shower? I love the limestone. You were worried it would be too dark?, my entire bathroom including the vanity top will be in that limestone. LOL,
    It seems like grey foussana, lagos blue and azul tulis are all very similiar.
    Donna

• pattis
    16 years ago

Stunning bathroom!! Very tasteful and elegant!
    I, too, would appreciate more shower pictures. Our shower will be similar in size, 3' by 6' and we will also use full glass shower doors. Are your doors frameless? Is one unit stationary?
    Thanks for posting your awesome pics!! Good job!!
    Patti

• monicakm_gw
    16 years ago

hoboken, I can only see one picture and it's pretty small :( This happened with your (I think it was you) other bathroom photos too.
    I just get links (Image Hosted by ImageShack.us) and
    Shot with Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XT (also a clickable link).
    How many pictures are showing up for everyone else?
    I DO Like what I see tho :) I like dark!

• mahatmacat1
    16 years ago

Interesting point about the Sanagloss, thanks.

• dianalo
    16 years ago

I see 3 pix.

• hobokenkitchen
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh I'm sorry - there are meant to be 3 pics. I think I'll repost them bigger on both threads.

• hobokenkitchen
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hope this helps!

{{gwi:1451063}}
    Shot with Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XT at 2007-07-01

{{gwi:1451064}}

It's not easy getting close ups, but here are some bigger/ closer pics of just the shower and the stone. Also I **think** the wall color is BM Hollingsworth Green, but I will need to double check it!

{{gwi:1451065}}

{{gwi:1451066}}

{{gwi:1451067}}

• organic_donna
    16 years ago

hobokitchen,
    Are those water spots on your limestone?
    Donna

• hobokenkitchen
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Do you mean the dark 'splotches'? If so, then no - they are part of the stone. You cans ee them on the bathroom floor too.

If you see any small lighter patches, then yes they are - remember the TEN costs of sealer thread??? : )

• kgwlisa
    16 years ago

Where is the over the toilet cabinet from? I'm looking for something just like that!

The whole thing is beautiful.

• hobokenkitchen
    Original Author
    16 years ago

kgwlisa, well, believe it or not.... it's from Home Depot! We looked everywhere, Restoration Hardware, all sorts of high end stores, and we wanted something with clean lines. This one doesn't seem to be carried by every store though so we had to search for it and then we changed out the knobs.

Funny, but we also ended up buying our kitchen pulls from Home Depot. This after buying (expensive!!) samples from all over the place; again RH / Expo, etc.I was nervous as our cabinets are custom and everything is top of the line. But when we got them all home the Home Depot ones looked best - and I was happy because it saved us hundreds of $$$s! Just goes to show the most expensive ones aren't always the ones which work best!

• monicakm_gw
    16 years ago

Thanks for the larger pictures so we could see the details...and what fine details they are :) I'm doing a dark stained cabinet too.
    Monica

• pharaoh
    16 years ago

Pretty, serene, lovely!

• organic_donna
    16 years ago

hobokitchen,
    Yes, I meant the dark sploches. In the picture it looks wet, but I'm sure it looks different in person. They are exactly like my tiles, of course I love them.
    Donna

• kgwlisa
    16 years ago

Oh man, I'm going to have to check it out! Do you remember the brand name on it so I have a clue what I'm looking for (no biggie if not)? I'm using restoration hardware's cartwright line in white, but my toilet room is behind a pocket door so I'm just looking for something that is similar, doesn't have to be exactly the same, to hold toilet paper and personal hygiene products.

• igloochic
    16 years ago

Hoboken I love the bathroom. It's going to be very close to the look I'm after in my bath, though I went even deeper in the browns for my shower with this tile:

{{gwi:1451068}}

I'm going to use it on the shower wall, as well as the soaking tub deck and backsplash. We'll have brown vanities and the antique lighting is also in brown and golds. I used a lovely creme marble for the countertops and the floors (as well as the shower floor and ceiling) will be travertine (a soft tan called Roman). The walls will be Marmorino plaster in the soft tan of the travertine.

I have this all in my mind, but seeing your bathroom briings it to life, even if my textures area bit different :) Thanks for reassuring me that we'll have a classy space (hopefully every bit as lovely as yours!)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!