Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txbluebonnet11

Seamless Shower Drain? California Faucet Styledrain Tile

TXBluebonnet11
10 years ago

Has anyone tried California Faucet's new tile drain? I love the idea of a seamless look in the shower. But I'm wondering if the water drains well, and what happens with hair that normally collects at the bottom of the drain? Would this setup be a problem with long hair? Does anyone have any experience they could share? It's pretty pricey, but I'm seriously considering the product and I don't want to make a mistake. I cannot seem to find any reviews online. I think this product is too new.

Here is a link that might be useful: California Faucet StyleDrain Tile

Comments (14)

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

Haven't seen that one, but we just had a Schluter liner drain installed against one wall in our 3'x4' little shower. It is on an outside wall so it couldn't go right against the wall like the ones at the Schluter website. We had 2"x2" tiles so we chose the grid style, rather than a tile drain with the trough running around the outside of it like the one you pictured.

Anyway, our's tapers down to a 2" drain hole that has an easily removable plastic hair catcher.

-Babka

{{gwi:1450547}}

Here's one using tile.

{{gwi:1450549}}

• TXBluebonnet11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for your reply, Babka. Do you know how the removeable plastic hair catcher works on the Kerdi drain? Perhaps it is the same with the Calif. Faucet version. Our drain is standard and in the middle of the shower, so the Kerdi won't be an option for us.

• faucetguy
    10 years ago

I've actually seen this unit, and yes, it does include a removable hair strainer. The tiled-in inner frame pops-off with an included plastic tool (to prevent scratching) which exposes the easily removable plastic hair strainer.

You can see the detail of how it all goes together in Step 5 of the installation instructions (link below).

Hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: StyleDrain TILE Installation Instructions

• TXBluebonnet11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much, Faucetguy. Your post is extremely helpful! Have you had any client feedback on the product? Does it drain water at the same rate as a standard drain?

• faucetguy
    10 years ago

So far so good on client satisfaction. This drain is rated at approximately 10 gallons per minute; though "your mileage may vary" depending on the size of shower stall, slope, venting, drain pipe size, quality of work, etc.

To be extra safe, I would recommend giving yourself a generous margin of error and not exceeding 7-8 gallons per minute output on your shower system for a single drain point. This should be more than sufficient for most standard showers with fixed shower head and separate handshower I'm not a plumber or technician, so maybe someone else wants to chime in on this point.

• asharding Harding
    10 years ago

Babka, what tile did you use in the shower? Did you match it with any particular granite for your vanities and tub deck? We're doing a similar color scheme and would love to see your combinations.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

No tub, just a shower. It is 12x24 porcelain. The shower floor is 2x2" porcelain, and the main floor is 24x24 porcelain, and the 5/8"mosaic is marble/glass. The 12"x48" bench and the vanity counter top is Ceasarstone quartz.

I like the combination of white, black and gray because I can change the color of my towels on a whim. ;-)

-Babka

{{gwi:1450551}}
    {{gwi:1450553}}

• divotdiva2
    10 years ago

Hi Babka, can you tell me what cabinet was used for the vanity? We are going to use a linear drain in our shower but I don't know the brand yet.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

TXBluebonnet- Please forgive me for hijacking this thread. Sorry to get so far from the drain question. The cabinet is custom. I'll post those details in a new post when the bathroom is finished, so you can get answers to YOUR original question here.

I really like the look of the drain you are considering. Envious that you can get more than 2.5 gpm where you live...unlike California.

-Babka

• TXBluebonnet11
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Babka, no problem at all. Your bathroom looks wonderful! I wish I could have convinced my husband to install a linear drain when we were at that phase. So I was pleased to find an alternative that will give a somewhat seamless look with a traditional drain system. It won't be quite the same, but a lot closer! Please feel free to answer any questions posted. I love seeing all of the solutions that others have come up with.

• rph1234
    10 years ago

Anyone else used this drain? This is exactly what I was looking for. Are they sold online anywhere? I haven't been able to find a price on it.

• divotdiva2
    10 years ago

I am going to be using ACO Quartz brand, it found on line at the flooringsupplyshop.com they have linear and square, and you can buy a stainless steel hair catcher to use inside (although it can reduce flow). My plumber and tile guy seem to like it, they say very solidly made, we'll see when it's time to install!

• MongoCT
    10 years ago

Laticrete makes a tile-in grate to go with their Hydroban flanged drain. You can see a video of the whole system here, they talk about the tile in grate at about 4:45 into the video.

The tile-in drain grate, which comes with the flanged drain, goes for about $100.

I've used them, a nice system.

Infinity makes them. See their linear and square ones in several different sizes. Nice quality. I've used the ones you install with a topical membrane, the 8" square and the 4" round.

Going with the any of the above also gives you the added benefit of a topical membrane.

Luxe makes a version of them for both standard and linear drains. Never used it though. It's designed to be used with a typical CPE membrane, with the membrane embedded between two layers of deck mud.

Schluter has one as well, but I've not ever held it in my hands.

I think EBBE makes one as well. But I've never used one.

• vpierce
    10 years ago

This is the one we have. It drains well and is very easy to clean.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tiled Shower Drain