Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What size floating shelves over toilet?

Posted by kaysd (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 11, 13 at 18:12

Our wall-mounted toilet will be in a 3' wide niche. I would like to put 2 (maybe 3) floating shelves over the toilet. The shelves would be 4-6" deep, and are intended to hold pretty bottles of bath products, candles and other decorative items.

Should I use 36" long wall-to-wall shelves or something shorter (24-30") so there is a gap between the shelves and the side walls? If I use shorter shelves, should they be lined up evenly, centered over the toilet, or staggered?

Staggered:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What size floating shelves over toilet?

OH, you have to decide this one :) the images you posted are all nice and any would work. I noticed none have the shelves running wall to wall though. Can you find an image with that configuration?

o

I wouldn't run the shelves right to the walls, but I agree with enduring, it is totally up to you. Whatever you think looks best.

o

The only photo I could find with the shelves running wall-to-wall was in a narrower niche, not over a toilet.

o

I'm in the same boat! I notice that each configuration has something that the shelves tie in with. Grab bar width, toilet width, or a proportion of the wall space width.

If you have a niche, seems like you could do wall to wall, or shorter ones centered, or staggered, so no help there. What would be consistent with the room style?

o

The bathroom is fairly sleek and modern. I think any of the configurations could work and be consistent, it is just hard to choose. If I order something shorter than wall-to-wall, I can always decide later whether to stack or stagger them. In that case, I need to decide whether to go with 24" shelves with 6" gap on each side, or 30" shelves with 3" gap on each side, or something in between.

o

Can you put up blue tape on the wall to help you decide? Tape it, take a photo, then do another config with more tape, and take a photo. Etc. Then you can view photos to choose which one you like before you make any holes in the walls and (like me) change your mind...several times. ;-

-Babka

o

Found one on Houzz.com - with shelves all the way from side to side at

http://www.houzz.com/photos/2597779/Dunsany-Road-traditional-bathroom-london

I like these the best if you are really looking to use some of space for practical storage (don't have to worry about going off the end). Helps esthetics of picture that toilet is a "wall mounted" one, I think but still, this is a nice almost "library" look to it.

But if you are strictly using for decorative (what about dusting?), then the shorter floating shelves that don't go end to end contribute less to clutter of bathroom which would be a good thing, IMO

o

Thanks for finding that photo, Elphaba (shown below). That helps answer my question because I don't like how wide those shelves look over the toilet. I also don't like how narrow the ones are in my 2nd photo above (exact width of toilet). So, I need something in between toilet width and 30."

I plan to use these shelves mostly for products that I use either in or right after the shower (shower gels, scrubs, creams). These are products with really nice containers and/or labels that I picked up in France and elsewhere, so they are decorative. The shelves are also functional in that they keep non-everyday items out of the shower.

o

You might like to check out the attached article from the Tiny-A$$ Apartment blog for more photos of shelves, both in enclosed rooms and not.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tiny-A$$ Apartment blog

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here