Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gypsy_jazz

Bathroom Layout Thoughts??

gypsy_jazz
11 years ago

I just posted a lengthy note over on kitchens for layout feedback there, but am also a little stuck on my master bath. Anyone have any strong feelings one way or the other here? The shower is curbless, pony wall between vanity and toilet. I'm just wondering if this is the best use of space or if anyone here as something brilliant and creative to add. Thanks much!

I'm new here, so bear with the weirdness on the formatting, please.

Comments (9)

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

I think you have room for this type of "pony wall" between toilet and vanity:

{{gwi:1450293}}

Source: clippings.gardenweb.com via Dayna on Pinterest

Also your current drawn linen closet there looks rather unfunctional--too deep, with too small an opening. I would consider making it a simple cabinet, or having it open to the tub side rather than the door side.

• Ruth_123
    11 years ago

Honestly, this looks good and nicely balanced to me! But just throwing a few things out there...

I wonder if the room might feel a bit more spacious if the shower and bath were in the inverse positions. Visually, when you walk into the room, you see more wall space opposite, which suggests space...?

Another advantage of this is that you could a large window at the end of the bath, which would add light... I don't know your aspect, but I would be a teeny bit concerned that the room might be a bit dark as drawn?

One disadvantage would be that you would be able to see the toilet from the bath (a bug bear of mine!). I'm not sure how you feel about this, but could you encroach a bit on the WIC and push the toilet back in there, and hide it away behind a door and add a small window to bring light?

Another alternative (assuming that you don't mind losing a bit of space would be to swap the positions of the toilet and vanity ... steal a bit of the WIC for a toilet stall and put a door on it! Looks like you would have to move the WIC door to the left a bit...

But as I said, it looks good the way you have it!!!

Good luck with your project!

All the best
    Ruth

• Ruth_123
    11 years ago

Really good point about the functionality of the linen closet! :-)

Haha, the pony wall storage is very clever! :-) Personally (and really it is purely a personal thing) I would not be a huge fan of a pony wall here. I am not sure what it achieves really, as it is not much higher than a countertop...? I would consider taking the extra few inches for the vanity countertop and if you really felt you needed privacy, consider a glass or obscured glass wall (floor to ceiling) at the end of the vanity to balance the glass shower wall on the other side...

All the best
    Ruth

• enduring
    11 years ago

I wonder if the doors opening into the room that way is a problem. The person at the sink will possibly be in the way of the door swing. I have included a link that I have found helpful. Good luck, this will be a fun adventure.

Here is a link that might be useful: Illustrated Rules of Good Bathroom Design

• Ruth_123
    11 years ago

Really good point about the functionality of the linen closet! :-)

Haha, the pony wall storage is very clever! :-) Personally (and really it is purely a personal thing) I would not be a huge fan of a pony wall here. I am not sure what it achieves really, as it is not much higher than a countertop...? I would consider taking the extra few inches for the vanity countertop and if you really felt you needed privacy, consider a glass or obscured glass wall (floor to ceiling) at the end of the vanity to balance the glass shower wall on the other side...

All the best
    Ruth

• gypsy_jazz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You guys are goooood!
    kirkhall- I thijnk you're right, although that isn't part of the plan right now, but could be done. When you say simple cabinet as an option for the current linen, do you mean a cabinet rather than a framed closet?

Ruth_123- The door of our current bath opens the same way with a vanity there, and isn't a problem. We're lazy and rarely close the door. I thougth about moving the tub too, but the issue of where the shower is now located is due to this being an extension over the existing structure and we were able to access the joists easily for the curbless entry. The window is a funny situation. The previous window was a very small awning window, about 1' x 2' and the light was ok. This room faces north and we have close neighbors, so the light would never be great(nor would the view), and this window is about 3x as large as the previous one.

I really appreciate all your comments. Thanks!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I would reverse the tub and the shower. I would also think explicitly about towel bars. We struggled with ours as we didnt plan well enough for them in advance. Fortunately I made the shower wall high enough on one side so we had space for a heated towel bar. Also we left space for a cabinet next to the toilet in our bath so we had a convenient space to store t. paper rolls and magazines. We put an outlet over it for a night light. It also is helpful having something for support when you need to get up when you have an infirmity.

• Ruth_123
    11 years ago

Hi again,

Given your technical issue with the shower, it sounds like you are definitely on the right track! And great that you will have a bigger window too! I think that your bathroom will be fab!

AnnieDeighnaugh makes a really good point on the towel hanging! You don't want to be looking into your beautiful new bathroom and seeing wet towels flung about! :-)

It's a purely personal thing, but I have a bit of a niggle about that pony wall! If you got rid of it, you could have a few extra inches counter space, and you could still do a pull out storage for toilet rolls etc as shown in the following link.

You could also tuck in some towel hanging on the end side of the vanity (although to be fair, you could do this on the pony wall too!).

All the best,
    Ruth

Here is a link that might be useful: Toilet paper storage pull out

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

Yes, I meant a regular cabinet and not a framed in box (especially front).

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH