Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txgal06

Please share pics of children's bathrooms/tub surrounds

txgal06
16 years ago

I am trying to save $$ by using 6x6 white tiles but want to add some 1x1 colored glass accents as a border, about 3/4 of the way up the tub surround. Anyone have any pictures of something like this so I can show the tile guy? Any other pics of children's bathrooms would help also. Thanks.

Comments (15)

• spanky67
    16 years ago

Yes, exactly as you just described...now if I can only figure out how to do it. I'll have to get some pics tonight when I go home.

I went with 6x6 white on the walls all the way around the room. In the tub they go to the ceiling, outside the tub to about 60". There's a "belt" of 2 rows of 1" glass mosaics at the same height(roughly 48" from floor) all the way around. The glass was expensive per foot $38/ft, but I only needed a couple of feet as I cut them into 2 square rows and mounted. I went with a 12x12 faux carrera marble tile on the floor set on the diagonal. We also went with a white 48" vanity and 18" linen and a granite top. My guess is we spent about $5500 for all the materials. I did all the work.

If I can't get the pics until the weekend do you still want them? The job isn't done yet (golf season!!), but all the tile and grout is.

• Zoe52
    16 years ago

spanky, please post pictures as I am interested in seeing your bath room and all your tiles too!

• spanky67
    16 years ago

OK, now I just need some one to give me detailed instructions on getting pics up. I'd prefer to have them show up in the thread...as that's what I enjoy seeing...but will be just as happy attaching my Shutterfly pics. If some one can walk me thru, I'll get them up tomorrow morning...need to go watch some mindless TV.

• budge1
    16 years ago

The easiest way is to open a photobucket account (free) and upload your pix there. Then just copy the tag line and paste it where ever you want in the message.

• mayland
    16 years ago

This is exactly what we are going to do. I wanted mosaic over all of the bathtub walls but to save $$ we are going to do a strip of 3/4" tiles probably 5, 6, or 7 tiles high that goes around the whole room. The rest will be tiled floor-ceiling in 4x4 or 6x6 white-ish tiles.

This is my poor mock-up of how it will look (the walls are not really black, just came out like that when I made the JPG file to upload):

I hope it looks OK. I am telling myself that the mosaic over all the tub walls would have been too busy ;) which may be true for this blend with several colors in it, but someone on here (AnnKathryn, i think?) has done all of the tub walls in a blue/green-ish mosiac that had very little color variation and it looked stunning. If we had been able to do all the walls, I would have chosen a "calmer" mosaic, but I'm hoping that in a narrow strip, this will not look too busy.

The tiles are Kaleidoscope Colorways in Kismet, which are currently on sale (with several other color blends) at MosaicTileMarket for $4 per sheet.

The bathroom has just been gutted so it will be a while before we get to the tiling stage, but I'll post pics when we do.

Here is a link that might be useful: tile

• spanky67
    16 years ago

Budge, that's sort of like me telling you to run by the supply house, grab a couple of 4-way dimmers and connect the wires. Technically correct, but you'll probably burn your house down before you get any lights to work. I don't mean to be a smart ass, but I really am a nit wit when it comes to this stuff.

Everything's in Shutterfly, is there anyway to do it from there? My guess is I need to re-size the pics before I try anything, but got nowhere fast sifting thru Shutterfly for the info..

Worst case...shoot me your email and I can just forward this pics directly. Keep in mind I'll only be hear till 5pm eastern and gone for the weekend.

• pamghatten
    16 years ago

Well, this is my new bathroom, for me, the BIG kid ...

{{gwi:1449433}}

Imagine a bathtub in there, I took mine out.

• brownli
    16 years ago

Here is our girl's bathroom - ok - maybe we made it too busy - but we have fun with it now. We love this tile.

The yellowish color above the blue tile insert is just the shadow from the valance.

• Phobie Privett
    16 years ago

txgal-FWIW I went to a home show this weekend and my favorite bathroom was a jack and jill for kids that had white tile with a blue and green irridescent glass tile just as you described. The walls were a gorgeous apple green. Unfortunately, no pics allowed. But it was ADORABLE! I say DO IT! I would, but unfortunately, I've got to have cultured marble...
    Brownli-LOVE IT!!!

• budge1
    16 years ago

sorry spanky, I hate to assume that others have my same low level of computer savvy.
    I will try to walk you through it, but this may be a case of the blind leading the blind.

I will try to put the pb link below.

Register for your account. It will lead you through this step by step. Once you are registered you will see some buttons that say choose file.

Click on the 1st one and it should take you to your computers picture files. If you have an imac (like we do) it will take some detective work to find the picutres you want. Choose the picture you want and then do the same thing all over again to choose another pic.

There is another button to click if you want to add even more pics.

once they are loaded in your album you can look at them and under each pic there should be 2 or 3 boxes. One will say tag line - copy the info in the tag box. Go to your message and paste the line wherever you want in the message.

Go to preview and you should see your picture.

Let me know if you need anymore help and I can try. There is also a GW test forum, if you want to play around and see if you are doing it correctly.

Here is a link that might be useful: register for pb

• laurmela
    16 years ago

This is our kids bath we did in the middle of our kitchen remodel! The shower began leaking into the garage below. We demoed and retiled ourselves. I rather like it!

Yeah the seams are a little crooked, but that just give it character! Bought both the glass tile and beige tile at Lowes.

Good Luck

Laura

• spanky67
    16 years ago

Budge, thanks. Between your instructions and the ones Bill emailed me (I figured nobody posts more pics than him!) I should be able to get something up. First I've got to get the pics from Shutterfly over to Photobucket.

• budge1
    16 years ago

Could you drag them from shutterfly to your desktop and then when you go to "choose file" open your desktop and select them from there?

• txgal06
    Original Author
    16 years ago

mayland--$4/sheet??!! Oh my...I thought I got an acceptable deal today at a place that had the color I needed for $15/sheet.

brownli--love it! That's exactly what I'm looking for. Now I have a picture to show the tile guys. Thanks.

• mayland
    16 years ago

I know, what a bargain! They have a few different color blends on closeout as well.

Only problem is it makes my DH go into shock at the $18/sf I want to spend for the Susan Jablon mosaic for our master bathroom ;)

Brownli, thats a beautiful bathroom. I love the colors and it looks perfect -- makes me wish we could do mosiac all over. But our contractors just found another rotten subfloor in the house we are renovating, so a mosaic strip it is!

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County