Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sink Cabinet Paint is Peeling from Moisture

Posted by akchicago (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 2, 13 at 17:46

I have a Cabinet in my master bathroom that is the base for the sink. It is about 6 years old, and was made by a local carpentry shop, and painted BM Cloud White. The cabinet door is a raised panel style. Recently some of the paint is peeling just at the top edge of the raised panel, which is the spot that on occasion gets dripped on when using the sink.

I have two questions:
- is there anything I can do about this peeling spot, or do I need to get the cabinet door entirely repainted?
- I am going to have another cabinet made for my guest bathroom. Should I get some special paint treatment or finish that will prevent a similar thing from occurring?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sink Cabinet Paint is Peeling from Moisture

Without seeing a pic, this is just a guess...when your cabinet was originally primed, (a good primer is FreshStart) the painter must have missed that edge or area. Happens all the time where the primer is often a rushed step. That would be a spot where it was needed the most.
It can be easily fixed with a light sanding, primer, then your paint color. Though after a few years, a color often changes slightly due to environmental exposure. On an edge it may not be noticeable. Give that edge an extra coat or three.
If you use the same cabinet maker, or even another one, just take that cabinet door in and they will fix it for you if you are not handy or don't want to bother doing it yourself. If they have the door at the same time they are painting your new cabinet, it will be free or minimal fee.
If you ask someone to come to your home or are asking to have it fixed otherwise, it becomes a time hog and often costs more than it should...travel time, fuel, paint dry time etc.
You probably have the color that was originally used?

o
RE: Sink Cabinet Paint is Peeling from Moisture

Sleevendog - that was so helpful, thanks. I do have the color that was originally used. I didn't realize it was just an issue of priming, I had read somewhere about paint finish being "baked" or "catalyzed" to make it more durable. But that's probably with big manufacturers, not small shops.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here