Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sankaty_91

Safety Grab Bars

sankaty_91
10 years ago

I remember reading about some "Designer" Handicapped hardware. Can anyone suggest a good online source?
My bathroom hardware is in Polished Nickel. Should the grab bar finish match?

Comments (11)

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

Oh my yes if you do a lot of searching you will find a whole bunch of them that don't look like they belong in a hospital corridor. Here is the place we found ours. They have many to pick from with all sorts of finishes.

-Babka

Here is a link that might be useful: Smedbo Grab Bars

• williamsem
    10 years ago

I just got some from Medex Supply, though it was a bit of an ordeal. It wasn't entirely their fault, but there was great communication solving the discontinued item issue, and none when the other item was back ordered. I was on top of things though and called, their customer service team is great. I expect my experience was not typical, and complicated by purchasing through Amazon. If I had thought to go directly to their site it might have worked better.

Anyway, Moen makes some products, as does Grabcessories (which I purchased), and several others. The chrome should mix well with PN, all my powder room fixtures are chrome except the vanity light, which is PN. Looks fine.

• nycbluedevil
    10 years ago

I have the Smedbo bar pictured. I looked for grab bars forever. Love this one.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    10 years ago

Also, forgot to say that there are many bars that look like the top photo on the smedbo page, like this one:

Here is a link that might be useful: Latitude II

• sankaty_91
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions. So many choices! Now I need to figure out what size works for my walk in shower.

• grabbarguy
    10 years ago

There are many styles of grab bars available now along with finishes and colors. If you want an ADA compliant bar then it styles are vey limited to flange styles, not the bars itself. There is a company called Seachrome which has a Wellness series line that are very stylish and can meet ADA compliancy. They are in California.

• gabbythecat
    10 years ago

I'm facing this myself. So many styles of bars...we're doing a grab bar by the toilet and one in the MB shower. I don't know which is best - large/curved, or what...But it will be bronze, to match our hardware..we're doing a bear theme in this bathroom - I wish I could find bear grab rails!...I'm not trying for ADA compliant necessarily - *any* bar will be better than trying to grab the wall or the counter as I do now! We're also putting a raised, chair height toilet in this bathroom. I have knee problems (headed for a TKR after our house is built), so having a comfortable, easy to use bathroom will be wonderful.

• sankaty_91
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Now I am realizing how many choices there are. I have Polished Nickel finish on my shower fittings. Some of the bars I've liked do not come in that finish. Any suggestions on which other finish might blend?

• elphaba_gw
    10 years ago

I've used these Kohler "purist" grab bars. They have a simple style that is contemporary but I also think they would blend in other styles. You could order a small one to see, they come in lots of sizes at faucetdirect.com. Also, they come in "polished nickel", though I'm not sure if one vendor's "polished nickel" is the same as another.

Also, I found these can be pricy but it was reported here in the forum a while back about some of the cheaper ones rusting so I wanted to be safe.

• dljmth
    10 years ago

Smedbo has really, really nice grab bars. Very solid and substantial. We ended up not being able to use the one I purchased because it didn't fit the shower (we had to make it smaller at last minute). Make sure your contractor knows you want one because it will require some blocking.