Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Adding a hand-held shower to existing tub?

Posted by MizLizzie (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 2, 14 at 17:43

We're planning to update our guest bath; paint instead of paper, a new Toto loo, new cabinetry, and add a secondary hand-held shower. We're keeping our tub as well as its tile surround. We currently have a small rainhead mounted conventionally. Unfortunately, my son has grown so tall he bumps into the back lip sometimes. So I plan to install a gooseneck version which will elevate it about 3" - 4" but I'm not sure of the best way to add a hand-held to the configuration.

I have seen rainheads with the extra piece threaded in so that a handheld taps into it then hangs on the wall adjacent. It looks a little busy in the few pictures I've found. If we are trying to keep our wall tile, though, that would be the only way to do it, wouldn't it? Surprisingly, there is no access panel in the linen closet that backs onto the tub's plumbing, which strikes me as a tad unwise, but maybe that's common in more modern construction?

We will replace our tub spout and controller, too, but not sure that helps us any. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Adding a hand-held shower to existing tub?

There's also something like the following which are intended for a retrofit (Kohler example; there are others). The top bracket that mounts to the wall is actually attached to the source for the original shower head.

I'm not sure what your point is about your linen closet not having an access panel. It has nothing to do with new construction. I also wanted to maintain my existing tile. My home was built in the late 50's and it did not have an access panel in the linen closet either. That didn't stop the plumber from busting a large hole in the plaster wall in the closet. I created my own access panel to cover it up.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kohler hydrorail

This post was edited by DreamingoftheUP on Mon, Jun 2, 14 at 21:39

o

Thank you. That looks very sleek, and a great improvement over what I was considering. In looking at efaucet.com, it looks like Hans Grohe makes these, too. If anyone knows of other brands to recommend, I would appreciate suggestions.

So far as the access panel, in all the many homes I've owned, I've always had obvious plumbing access points, but I guess this is not always the case.

o

Delta makes several different styles of 2 in 1 shower heads that combine the traditional with a handheld. We had them in our last house and loved them. They use space efficiently, look nice and the handheld never pops out and hits you in the head when you least expect it. Plus you won't have to drill into your tile--they simply connect on the regular water line. They are called the in2ition line.

Hope this helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: Delta In2ition

o

Thank you for mentioning Delta. I've seen those commercials and I love the integrated look. It is a tad modern, though, for the room in question. I think. At the end of the day, it might prove best if the curvature gets it up high enough not to hit kiddo in the head.

Question -- when you pull the hand-held out, does the larger head keep spraying?

Thanks again.

o

We just put one in my dad's tub last week to accomodate the other extreme, getting a shower head down for seated showers. There is a diverter that you need to switch to channel the water to either the shower head or the hand held head. In the retrofit unit on my dad's shower the diverter is up at the head itself - so high that the nurse giving the showers has to stretch to reach it.
We are building now and also have a rain head and hand held in our master bath. In this case the diverter is built into the valve on the wall as part of the on/off hot/cold faucet control.

o

There seems to be several different in2itions. Which series do you have, mlweaving & mydreamhome? I would like the brillance finish as we are installing this in an area with hard water. It seems like only the 14 series has this finish. I'm about fried looking at all the different shower options. Any help would be appreciated

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here